Whenever we have Baked Spaghetti or any pasta dish for dinner, we make sure to have some sort of garlic bread with it.
My family loves the Garlic Texas Toast you can buy in the freezer section of the grocery store, so I decided to whip up some at home!
This recipe is so easy and takes minutes to make. It only has a few ingredients, and it tastes 10 times better than any frozen garlic bread you will buy at the store.
how to make Texas toast
- Start with your bread. You can make homemade bread (you need to try our Easy Homemade French Bread), or store-bought bread. I usually like mine a little thicker, so I look for the Texas toast sliced bread, on the bread aisle. You can also use any bread you have on hand, it doesn’t need to be Texas toast or french bread, but we do recommend it. There is something about biting into fresh thick bread with cheese and garlic spread… it doesn’t get any better than that.
- Now prepare your spread. You can’t go wrong with four ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. Mix together butter and garlic powder in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Take a basting brush and brush both sides of each slice of bread with the butter mixture and then place the bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. (If you don’t have a basting brush, you can also use a spoon and carefully spoon the mixture on the bread, being cautious to not pour it all in one place.)
- Once on the baking sheet, put them in the oven and broil them.
- As they broil, watch carefully. Broiling food can be tricky so never let something go for more than a minute without checking on it.
- Once the toasts are done, take them out of the oven, sprinkle some cheese and a little Italian seasoning, and throw them back in the broiler for just a minute.
For this particular recipe, we prefer mozzarella cheese, but any cheese will do. I bet a cheese combination with a little Parmesan cheese would be delicious as well.
To save yourself even more time, you can buy the shredded cheese at the store so you don’t have to shred or slice it yourself.
What to pair Texas toast with
This pairs perfectly with our Ground Turkey Spaghetti and our Parmesan Ranch Corn. You could also eat this as an appetizer with some marinara sauce. It’s almost like a breadstick or a little pizza. The kids will love this as well.
This is a fun recipe that kids could easily help with. I’ve found that for picky eaters, they are more likely to eat it if they participated in making it.
Looking for more bread recipes?
It includes copycat recipes from all your favorite restaurants including Cheesecake Factory, Panera, Chick Fil A, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse and so many more. Get your copy of Copycat Cooking with Six Sisters’ Stuff here!