Easy Salisbury Steak is one of our favorite go-to meals. It is pure comfort food that is so simple to make!
With just a few simple ingredients (that you probably already have sitting around in your kitchen and pantry), you can whip up a hearty meal that will impress even your pickiest of eaters.
I can honestly say, I like salisbury almost more than steak! Its flavor is unlike any other and the breadcrumbs add a texture your taste buds won’t forget. Be sure to try our Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes with it!
The best part of this Salisbury Steak recipe is how easy it is.
It takes minutes to throw together and you probably already have most of the ingredients.
Not only is it just a few ingredients, but it’s a budget-friendly dinner that isn’t going to break the bank, either.
While a traditional Salisbury Steak is made from beef, you can also substitute these meats and still get a good result. The texture and taste may be a little different, but the concept for cooking it stays the same.
- ground turkey
- ground chicken
- ground bison
- ground pork
Meatloaf VS. Salisbury Steak
We get asked a lot what the difference is between meatloaf and salisbury steak, and it really just boils down to a few things: the shape, the way it’s cooked, and what goes in it.
- Typically, meatloaf is served as a slice of a loaf, while salisbury steak is served as a cooked round patty.
- Meatloaf tends to be baked in the oven for about an hour, while salisbury steak is usually cooked in a skillet.
- Both meatloaf and salisbury steak have simple ingredients, but meatloaf is usually topped with a ketchup-like glaze. Salisbury steak is almost always topped with brown gravy.
Related Recipe: You love our easy and delicious PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SLOPPY JOES! They are a family favorite!
How to make salisbury steak:
You can also add diced green peppers, diced onions, or chopped mushrooms, too.
To shape your salisbury steaks, I find it easiest to make a ball then smash it down until it reaches my desired thickness. Before putting them in the pan, don’t forget to spray it with non-stick cooking spray for best results.
Cook each salisbury steak for 10 minutes on each side.
THE SECRET to making a delicious salisbury steak is to let them finish cooking IN GRAVY. That’s when all the flavors come together, and create an amazing taste and texture.
While we usually just use pre-made beef gravy from a jar, it also tastes great with gravy packets, mushroom gravy, or gravy made from scratch.
If you want an easy homemade gravy, we have a simple recipe that only takes 15 minutes to your cook time.
Easy homemade brown gravy:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
Simply mix together the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat until it has started to turn golden brown. Add in beef stock slowly (about 1/2 cup at a time), whisking quickly to remove any lumps. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Pour over salisbury steaks and let them continue cooking until they reach your desired doneness.
This stores well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
If you want to freeze it, let the salisbury steaks cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container.
Reheat in a skillet until warmed through, or thaw overnight, then bake in an oven-safe pan at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
The best side dishes to serve with Salisbury Steak:
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Corn on the Cob
- Parmesan Peas
- Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1.4 ounce dry french onion soup mix
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 12 ounce jar beef gravy
- Mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, french onion mix, egg and water.
- Shape the mixture into 4 oval-shaped patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and warm up over medium heat.
- Add the patties to the skillet and cook for 10 minutes on each side.
- Drain the grease from the skillet, and then add in the jar of gravy.
- Continue to cook in the gravy, covered, for 10 more minutes, flipping halfway through.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between. ORDER YOUR COPY HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?