These Salisbury Steak meatballs are easy to make with ingredients you usually have on hand. Feel free to add your own special twist for your family. Meatballs and slow cooker recipes are great that way.
You can totally sneak in a few veggies into your slow cooker while these amazing meatballs are cooking all day.
We added in some fresh sliced mushrooms because that’s what our kids love. I think next time we may throw in baby carrots. YUM!
You will also love this delicious recipe for Salisbury Steak. It’s another easy and delicious recipe that the whole family loved.
Can this Salisbury Steak Meatballs recipe be made in an instant pot?
These meatballs can definitely be made in the Instant Pot. We made them in the slow cooker, but you can adapt slow cooker recipes to the instant pot.
Here is a link that will help you as you change a slow cooker recipe to an instant pot recipe. https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/how-to-convert-recipes-into-instant-pot-recipes/
Kristen will show you step by step how easy it is to conver the recipe over. Or you can use your slow cooker for an easy and delicious dinner.
We love to make our recipes both ways.
Do these meatballs freeze well?
If you are lucky enough to have any leftover meatballs, they freeze well. Just place them in an airtight container and stick them in the fridge.
When ready to eat, just thaw and reheat. They reheat well in a microwave oven.
We don’t freeze the mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower that we serve these meatballs over. You can make a fresh mash for your meatballs.
How to make salisbury steak meatballs:
- In a mixing bowl add 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms, 1/2 pound of hamburger, 1/2 pound ground turkey, chopped onion, tomato paste, egg, ground oatmeal, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/4 cup beef broth.
- Mix until well combined. We find that using our hands works best, especially when forming the meatballs.
- Shape meat mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, remaining beef broth, remaining minced onions, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir together and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown meatballs on all sides. They don’t need to cook through. Just brown the outside edge.
- Place meatballs in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with sliced mushrooms.
- Pour sauce over all.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. It will smell amazing!
- You can serve these meatballs on their own, or you can serve them over mashed potatoes. To make it a healthy dish, we serve them over mashed cauliflower. Our kids had no idea it was mashed cauliflower. WIN!
Helpful items used when making Salisbury Steak Meatballs:
- Skillet – A favorite skillet with a glass lid, it’s also dishwasher safe.
- Slow Cooker – We love a big 8 quart slow cooker for our family
- Mixing Bowls – We love this set with lids.
- Instant Pot – Instant Pots are becoming so popular. Convert recipes over to the instant pot.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
More delicious slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Tangy Meatballs
Salisbury Steak Meatballs Recipe
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms 1 package, divided
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground turkey
- ¾ cup onion diced and divided
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste divided
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oatmeal ground in blender
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14 ounces low sodium beef broth 1 can, divided
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounces frozen mashed cauliflower 1 package
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, optional garnish
- Place 1/2 cup diced mushrooms in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the ground beef, ground turkey, 1/2 cup diced onion, 2 Tablespoons tomato paste, egg, ground oatmeal, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup beef broth.
- Mix together well and form into 1 1/2 inch meatballs; set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, remaining beef broth, remaining 1/4 cup onion, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat and brown the outside of the meatballs.
- Place meatballs in the slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place remaining sliced mushrooms over top.
- Pour sauce over all.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over mashed cauliflower and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Slow Cooker
- Mixing Bowl
- Instant Pot