If you love Chipotle, you’re going to love this copycat slow cooker chipotle’s barbacoa beef. This was really easy and made my house smell amazing all day!
If you’re looking for a new slow cooker, this one is a favorite.
We love to serve this beef as filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, salads, or just “bowl style” over rice with vegetables on the side.
How to make slow cooker chipotle’s barbacoa beef:
Trim all fat off meat, cut into 4 inch chunks. Season with salt and pepper and brown on high heat in 1 teaspoon oil. If you’re short on time, you can skip this step, but it does give a nice depth to the flavor of the meat.
Add liquefied spices, water, bay leaves and cook in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
Once cooked and the meat is tender, remove the meat and place in a dish. Shred it with two forks, and reserve the liquid for later (discard the bay leaf). Return the shredded meat to the pot, adjust salt and cumin (you may need to add more) to taste and add some of the reserved liquid back. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to let the flavors penetrate.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbacoa Recipe Notes:
This recipe uses canned chipotles in adobo sauce (you can see the kind we prefer to use below) and calls for 2-4, depending how spicy you would like it. My kids don’t like spicy food, so I can usually only get away with one chipotle pepper and a little bit of adobo sauce.
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
More copycat recipes:
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chipotle’s Barbacoa Beef Recipe
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ medium yellow onion
- ½ lime juiced
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 pounds bottom round roast (or beef eye of round, all fat trimmed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Place garlic, onion, lime juice, chipotles, cumin, oregano and cloves in a blender until smooth; set aside.
- Trim all fat off meat, and cut into 4 pieces. Season all sides with salt and pepper and brown in a skillet over high heat in 1 teaspoon olive oil just until the outside is brown and seared to seal in the juices.
- Remove meat from skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour liquefied spices, water and bay leaves on top and cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once cooked and the meat is tender, remove the meat and place in a dish. Shred it with two forks, and reserve the liquid for later (discard the bay leaf).
- Return the shredded meat to the pot and mix together with juices in the slow cooker. Let cook on warm for 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
- My kids don’t like spicy food, so I can usually only get away with one chipotle pepper and a little bit of adobo sauce.
- Slow Cooker
This post was included in our 10 of the Easiest One Pot Meals Video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
See how to make these quick and easy slow cooker steak fajitas below: