Tacos are one of our top go-to things to make for dinner during the week, so we like to mix it up when it comes to flavor. This easy dinner recipe (which is another great Instant Pot chicken recipe, by the way) definitely accomplishes that.
With the absolutely delicious Hawaiian tastes of the pineapple, mixed with the sweetness of the brown sugar and BBQ sauce, you cannot go wrong with this chicken dinner recipe. Even our most picky eater loves it.
Plus, when you use your Instant Pot, it helps infuse those wonderful ingredients into every aspect of the chicken. And, did I mention it cooks it faster, too?
Now that you want to make this delicious family dinner recipe, take a look below at everything you will need
Instant Pot chicken recipe ingredients:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Can of pineapple tidbits
- BBQ sauce
- Brown sugar
- Liquid smoke
- Red onion
- Jalapenos (fresh or canned will work!)
- Chili powder
- Yellow mustard
- Shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
- Purple cabbage
- Shredded carrot
- Mayonnaise (this can be substituted for plain Greek yogurt)
- White vinegar
- Celery seed
- Granulated sugar
- Corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Fresh pineapple (optional)
This recipe calls for liquid smoke. Have you used it in other recipes before? Do you even know what it is? Is it safe? If you have been wondering these things yourself, take a look at this very informative article on how liquid smoke is made by Epicurious.
Basic kitchen necessities for this budget friendly dinner:
- Instant Pot (we love THIS one)
- Forks or meat claws (like THESE ones!)
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
Restaurant meals in your kitchen
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
How to make Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ chicken tacos:
First, get out your Instant Pot and plug it in! Then place your chicken breast in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Next, add literally all of the other ingredients for the chicken on top of it. Yep, that’s right dump it on. Don’t even drain the can of pineapple tidbits.
Then, place the lid on the Instant Pot and press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and set the timer for 12 minutes and 22 minutes if you are using frozen chicken.
When the timer is done, switch the valve on top from SEALING to VENTING also know as doing a quick release.
Once all of the pressure is out of the Instant Pot, remove the chicken breast from the pot and shred them in a separate bowl or plate.
After the chicken is shredded, add it back into the Instant Pot and mix the chicken into the sauce until it is completely covered.
Now, prepare the coleslaw by taking a large mixing bowl and adding in the coleslaw mix, purple cabbage, and the shredded carrots.
In a smaller mixing bowl, add in the mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, and sugar. Mix everything together until it is well combined.
Then, pour the mayonnaise dressing over top of the coleslaw mixture and toss it all together until it is completely covered. Feel free to season it with salt and pepper to your preferred taste.
Now, serve each taco with a tortilla with seasoned shredded chicken, coleslaw, fresh pineapple, cilantro, and onions and enjoy!
Another Instant Pot chicken recipe
One of the things I love most about the Instant Pot is that you can make some of your favorite classic meals in it in less time. Our YouTube channel is filled with awesome recipes for your family that you can throw in your Instant Pot for easy meals. We even show you how to make it from beginning to end.
A favorite meal to make in our house is our Instant Pot chicken and dumplings. Oh my gosh, so good and so simple.
The best Instant Pot recipes to make for dinner
- EASY INSTANT POT SEVEN CAN TORTILLA SOUP (PERFECT FOR BEGINNERS)
- INSTANT POT THREE BEAN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE RECIPE
- INSTANT POT HONEY GLAZED HAM
- INSTANT POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN BOWLS
- EASY INSTANT POT BEEF POT ROAST
Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 12 6 inch corn tortillas for serving
- fresh cilantro optional garnish
- fresh chopped pineapple optional garnish
- sliced red onion optional garnish
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 can pineapple tidbits 20 ounce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 Tablespoons diced jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
- 1 cup purple cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- to taste salt and pepper
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Put all remaining chicken ingredients on top of chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on Instant Pot. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and set timer for 12 minutes (if chicken breasts are frozen, set timer for 22 minutes).
- Once cooking time is complete, switch the valve on top to “venting” (i.e. do a quick pressure release).
- Remove chicken breasts from the Instant pot and shred using two forks. Add shredded chicken back into the pot and mix with sauce in the pot until all the chicken is covered.
- Prepare the coleslaw by combining the coleslaw mix, purple cabbage, and shredded carrot in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, and sugar together.
- Toss dressing with cabbage mix until cabbage is covered in dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve each taco with a tortilla topped with shredded chicken, coleslaw, fresh pineapple, cilantro, and onion slices.
- Instant Pot
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.