Our mom is famous for this Sweet Potato Casserole. There are many out there like it, but this one is my ultimate favorite. It is so sweet and delicious, with just the right amount of crunch.
How to make Mom’s sweet potato casserole
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
Step 2: Place a pot of water on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Place them in the water once it comes to a boil.
Let the potatoes boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft.
Step 3: Remove the potatoes from the water and place them in a large bowl. Add sugar, sweetened condensed milk, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the vanilla.
Step 4: Beat the sweet potatoes and other ingredients with a hand mixer or masher. You could also use a Kitchen Aid or mixer. Add the eggs and continue to beat until fully incorporated.
Step 5: Pour the sweet potato mixture into the 9×13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
Step 6: Make the topping by combing flour, brown sugar and salt in a medium sized bowl. I did this with a whisk but you could also use a fork.
Then stir in 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Step 7: Sprinkle the flour mixture over the potato mixture. Sprinkle the pecans on top. You can also chop them up into smaller bits if you have picky kids.
Step 8: Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or just until golden. Preheat broiler (remove casserole from oven).
Broil casserole 45 seconds or until topping is bubbly.
Step 9: Let stand a little bit before serving. Enjoy warm.
Do you have an Instant Pot? Our Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole will make your life even easier!
Looking for Pecan Substitutes?
My kids are not a fan of pecans. I think they are delicious, but I understand that some people don’t like them or can’t have them.
If you are looking for a substitute, I have a few recommendations.
Ginger Snap Cookies: Keep the flavor of the holidays in the casserole. Ginger snap cookies are a great and delicious way to add crunch to your sweet potatoes.
Graham Crackers: The graham crackers add a sweet flavor, much like the ginger snap cookies. We would recommend eating this right away after cooking, so they don’t get soggy.
Another Nut: Walnuts are the perfect substitute for pecans. Pecans do have a more delicate taste, but walnuts are similar in texture.
You could also use crushed up almonds or pistachios, but walnuts or pecans are preferred.
Looking for more sweet potato recipes?
We have lots of family favorite sweet potato recipes, check out these ones:
- 25 Easy Sweet Potato Side Dishes
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Mash
Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring the water to a boil.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Once the water is boiling put your potatoes in for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl; add sugar, sweet and condensed milk, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and vanilla.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well
- Pour potato mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir with a whisk. Stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over potato mixture; arrange pecans evenly over top.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or just until golden.
- Preheat broiler (remove casserole from oven).
- Broil casserole 45 seconds or until topping is bubbly. Let stand a little bit before serving.
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!