As a college student I am always looking for the easiest and cheapest recipes that I can throw together.
I have a lot of roommates this year since I’m living in a house rather than an apartment, and that means that anything baked in the kitchen is free game for the other 9 girls.
A few days ago my roommate made the most amazing pumpkin dessert I have ever tasted.
Unfortunately, I was only able to eat one due to the large crowd of girls sitting around the kitchen table, but I immediately asked for the recipe so I could make more.
I was shocked to learn that the recipe only called for three ingredients, pumpkin, cake mix, and margarine. Hello, new favorite food.
how to make mini pumpkin poppers
Step 1: Mix together cake mix and pumpkin puree until blended. You could use beaters or just a spoon, it’s not difficult.
Step 2: Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. This will allow it to stiffen up a little better, as well as create a sweeter taste.
Refrigerating the dough allows the sugar to absorb some of the fats, and create a sweeter taste when they bake.
Step 3: In a separate, smaller bowl, melt butter.
Step 4: Roll 1 inch dough balls, then dip them in the butter before placing them onto the mini muffin tin pan that has been lightly sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
Step 5: Bake dough at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Step 6: Let the poppers cool, and then sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar, and enjoy.
What to substitute for margarine/Butter
Butter and Margarine aren’t the best ingredients to put in your food, when trying to eat healthy. Luckily, I have found some delicious alternatives and your delicious bite size pumpkin popper muffins will turn out perfectly.
- Coconut Oil – can be substituted straight across for butter. You don’t have to change the measurements of the coconut oil, but instead, simply use the same amount as you would butter.
- Avocado or Olive Oil – also a great substitute for butter. They both have a similar taste. I have also heard of people using mashed up avocado in place of butter. I myself have never tried this, but I have heard of this method. If you choose to use avocado, it might also change the color of the poppers to a green tint.
- Applesauce – this significantly reduces fat when used in recipes, in place of butter. It is also sweet tasting and highly recommended as a butter replacement for this recipe.
- Greek Yogurt – This method isn’t as recommended, but it would work. It has less fat, but also a unique flavor that may contradict the sugar.
For this particular recipe, we recommend using an oil or applesauce to replace the butter, but the other options would work as well. All of the above would be great options.
what to have with your mini pumpkin poppers
Our family doesn’t drink coffee but we definitely drink our hot chocolate and cider. Here are a few of our favorite drinks:
- White Hot Chocolate: This unique hot chocolate tastes like melted white chocolate chips. We love dunking our Pumpkin Poppers into it.
2. Nutella Hot Chocolate: This Nutella flavor in a hot cocoa, tops any hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted. If you are a Nutella fan, you need to try Nutella with these Pumpkin Poppers. Amazing. Simply amazing.
3. Homemade Apple Cider: Something about bread and apple cider just goes together. And these Pumpkin Poppers go perfectly with some apple cider.
Did you know we have a youtube channel?
We have hundreds of easy and delicious recipes your family will love. All of our recipes are tried, true, and kid approved. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it.
Watch how to make our Mini Pumpkin Poppers here:
looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Mini Pumpkin Poppers Recipe
- 15.25 ounce spice cake mix
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Mix together cake mix and pumpkin puree until blended. You could use beaters or just a spoon, it's not difficult.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes
- Melt butter in separate bowl
- Roll 1 inch dough balls, then dip them in the butter before placing them onto the mini muffin tin pan that has been lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- Bake dough at 350 for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool, and then sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar, and enjoy.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!