One of my all-time favorite recipes on the blog are these Chess Squares. Silly, right? They are super easy to make – but just so delicious! I seriously could sit down and eat a whole pan. (Yes, I am totally speaking from experience.)
I have been craving chocolate-y pumpkin flavors all week, so I decided to make a “holiday” version of the Cheesecake Chess Squares. Turns out, they are almost better than the original!
Chess squares, also known as Ooey Gooey Butter Cake, are a traditional southern dessert. Similar to a chess pie, they feature a custard-like filling. They can be made with almost any flavor of cake mix, but you won’t want to pass by this chocolate pumpkin version!
How to make Chocolate Pumpkin Chess Squares:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine your cake mix, butter, and only one egg to form a soft dough.
- Spread this mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch pan. My go-to is my glass, Pyrex baking pan.
- Mix the powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, pumpkin, and the remaining egg until smooth.
- Pour this on top of the cake mixture and bake for 40-50 minutes. The edges should start to turn a golden brown.
How to Serve The Chess Squares:
You can serve them warm or cold. Store in air tight container in fridge or consider freezing them! Cut into single serving sizes before freezing and you can grab one from the freezer when you need to treat yourself!
These Chocolate Pumpkin Chess Squares will be a hit at your next family dinner or company potluck. I’ll look the other way if you choose to keep them all for yourself. 😉
WATCH HOW TO MAKE 3 EASY PUMPKIN DESSERTs:
Looking for more pumpkin desserts? Well you are in luck. Today on our Youtube Channel, we are showing you how to make 3 Easy Pumpkin recipes.
Each recipe on our channel and blog is tried and true, so you know they will be tasty.
LOOKING FOR MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES?
Chocolate Pumpkin Chess Squares Recipes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese 1 package, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, butter and one egg to form a soft dough.
- Spread it into the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Then mix the powdered sugar, cream cheese, pumpkin and one egg until smooth.
- Pour over top of the crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the edges start to turn a golden brown.
- Take them out and you can serve them warm, or let them cool off and serve them cold.
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13 Inch Baking Dish
- Small Mixing Bowl
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy HERE.