This pumpkin honey bun cake recipe is a spin-off of one of our favorite family dessert recipes, Honey Bun Cake. They are very similar, but this recipe takes it to the next level for fall and all of our pumpkin lovers.
It has so much flavor that develops between the pumpkin cake layers and the pecan and brown sugar filling! And of course, the fact that this is a cake mix recipe, you can make it in no time!
A few more of my favorite fun pumpkin dessert recipes to make are our Pumpkin Sheet Cake Recipe (these do not last long in our house), and this crazy simple Instant Pot Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Bread. Try them and let us know what you think or how long they last in your house!
Ingredients for the Best Pumpkin Dessert
If you are ready to make this delicious pumpkin recipe make sure you have everything below to start!
Yellow cake mix
Pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin Puree Tip
Cake mix recipe necessities:
- 9×13 inch pan (THIS one is my favorite)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Small mixing bowl (2)
How to make Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake:
Being this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and preparing a 9×13 pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
Then, in a large mixing bowl, add in the yellow cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, canned pumpkin, and 1 ½ teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice.
REMEMBER: You need to use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe!
Beat everything together with your hand mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Stop the mixer to scrape down the bowl occasionally, to ensure all the ingredients are getting well incorporated.
After the batter is mixed, spread half of it into the bottom of the 9×13 pan and spread it out evenly.
In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, pecans, and the remaining teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to create the filling.
Spread this gently and evenly over top of the first layer of cake, then pour the remaining batter over top of the pecan layer and try your best to spread it out evenly.
Then, pop the pan in the oven for 38-42 minutes or until the cake has turned a deep golden color or you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
For the topping, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl until it is thin enough to spread (you might have to add a tad bit more milk to get the right texture).
Then carefully spread the powdered sugar frosting over top of the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely (about an hour or so) before serving it.
If you have any left, cover the cake and store on your counter until you are ready for your next piece!
Related recipe: if you love all things pumpkin, you’ll love our Pumpkin Pie Cake!
Watch us cook in our kitchens:
If you haven’t checked out our YouTube channel yet, you must! It is packed with so many great recipes that you and your family will all love! From snacks, appetizers, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes we have it all. Plus we show you how to make everything the way we do.
With family and friends gatherings right around the corner for the holidays, try out our pumpkin pie dip recipe for a little spin on your average fruit dip or dessert dip. It is absolutely delectable and super easy to make!
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes To Try:
The Best Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, pumpkin and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan (about 2 1/4 cups).
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans and remaining 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; sprinkle evenly over batter in pan. Carefully pour and spread remaining batter evenly over brown sugar mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 38 to 42 minutes or until the cake is a deep golden brown color and/or a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven.
- In another small bowl, stir powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until thin enough to spread over cake. Carefully spread powdered sugar mixture over warm cake. Cool completely (takes about 1 hour). Store covered.
Recipe source: Betty Crocker
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.