Instant Pot BBQ chicken sandwiches recipe has become a staple in our household! It is an extremely budget-friendly dinner recipe that is super quick to get started.
Whoever made the first pressure cooker knew what they were doing and they have come a long way since. I use an Instant Pot recipe at least once a week if not more. Just like this Instant Pot chicken recipe, you can make a delicious dinner in no time.
Soon enough this will be a recipe you make at least once a month, but probably more. Let’s be real, I am all about making dinner time easy, and this recipe is just that. Easy, simple, and DELICIOUS!
Ingredients Needed For Our Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Brown sugar
- Ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion powder
- Chicken broth (water can do as well)
- BBQ sauce
- Hamburger buns
How To Make Our Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe:
Begin by placing the sliced onions in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Then, place chicken breasts on top of the sliced onions.
Now, in a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
After that is all mixed, sprinkle the seasonings on top of the chicken breasts.
Then, pour the chicken broth as close to the side of the bowl as possible to try and avoid washing the seasonings off of the chicken.
Now, pour 1 cup of the BBQ sauce over top of the seasoned chicken breast.
When all of that is done, place the lid on the Instant Pot, secure it, and turn the valve to the SEALING position.
To get it started, press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and set the timer for 20 minutes
After the timer runs out, let the Instant Pot natural release for 5 minutes and then turn the valve to the VENTING position to release the remaining pressure.
Now remove the lid from the Instant Pot and take the chicken out to shred it. You can use two forks or throw it into your stand mixer with a paddle attachment to speed things up a bit.
Once all of the chicken is shredded, add it back into the Instant Pot and stir it into the remaining juices.
Now just serve it on some hamburger buns, pour a little more BBQ sauce, and any of your other favorite toppings!
To Make This Instant Pot Chicken Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot
- Small mixing bowl
- Hand or stand mixer (optional but I love THIS one!)
Make Your Own Buns
Have you ever made your own hamburger buns? They aren’t always the easiest, but they can take a burger or sandwich to the next level.
If you want to try it out, take a look at this 40-minute hamburger buns recipe from Taste of Home and taste the difference for yourself!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today! INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
More Tasty Instant Pot Recipes to Make:
- Instant Pot Korean Beef and Rice Recipe
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Gyros Recipe
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Instant Pot Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- 1½ cups BBQ Sauce divided
- 6 hamburger buns
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle on top of chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth on the side of the chicken (try to not wash off any of the seasonings you just topped with chicken with.
- Pour 1 cup of the BBQ sauce on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, press the MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) button and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer is done, let the pressure do a NATURAL RELEASE for 5 minutes. Then move the valve from sealing to VENTING and let the rest of the pressure release.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and shred using 2 forks (it should fall apart fairly easily). Place shredded chicken back in the Instant Pot with all the juices and stir together.
- Serve over hamburger buns and enjoy.
- Instant Pot
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Hand or Stand Mixer
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.