Chicken nuggets were a staple in my life growing up, but my kids hate frozen chicken nuggets!
I guess that it is a blessing and a curse – a blessing because I don’t love how processed chicken nuggets are, but a curse because it sure would be nice to throw some nuggets in the oven and have them ready in a matter of minutes!
I saw this recipe a couple of years ago on local TV program and copied it down as fast as I could. I tweaked it until I loved it and it ended up being a huge hit with my kids (and husband!). And really, it is pretty quick to throw them together . . . once you try this easy recipe, you’ll never go back to frozen chicken nuggets.
These homemade chicken nuggets are also great to send to school for your kids’ lunch – they are as delicious cold as they are hot!
Try dipping these chicken nuggets in our Homemade Chick-Fil-A Sauce!
Ingredients in homemade baked chicken nuggets:
For this recipe, I use simple ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge and pantry.
- corn flakes
- grated Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- chicken breasts
Are homemade chicken nuggets healthy?
The million dollar question – are these chicken nuggets healthy?
To me, these chicken nuggets are a MUCH healthier choice than any frozen chicken nugget you could get at the store.
I love that I know what is in each nugget – there are no weird ingredients or fillers (have you ever seen how some of the processed chicken nuggets are made? Watch this!).
By making your own chicken nuggets, you are getting less preservatives, less sodium, and less nitrates.
So to me, YES! These chicken nuggets are a LOT healthier than frozen chicken nuggets you can buy at the store.
Watch how to make these Homemade Chicken Nuggets:
We have tons of easy, family-friendly recipes just like this one on our YouTube Channel!
How to freeze homemade chicken nuggets:
I love making a big batch of these chicken nuggets and then throwing them into the freezer for a quick lunch or dinner.
To freeze these chicken nuggets, prepare as outlined in the recipe.
Let the chicken nuggets cool and then place them in a single layer on a wire rack and place them in the freezer for 1 hour – this will keep the chicken nuggets from all sticking together when you place them in a bag in the freezer and pull out a couple for a quick lunch. If you don’t mind them all sticking together, you can skip this step.
Place all the chicken nuggets in a gallon-sized resealable freezer bag. They will be good in the freezer for 1-2 months.
To reheat chicken nuggets, preheat oven to 375 degrees and cook for 10-15 minutes. You could also pop them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or until heated through.
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more delicious kid-friendly homemade recipes? Try these:
- Homemade French Toast Sticks
- Homemade French Bread
- Homemade Disneyland Dole Whips
- Homemade Big Hunk Candy Bars
- Homemade Pizza Pockets
- Homemade Chick-Fil-A Chicken Nuggets
- Baked Crispy Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken
Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups corn flakes
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Put corn flakes in large plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs. Pour crumbs into medium-sized bowl. Add Parmesan cheese, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to corn flakes and mix until combined.
- Place beaten eggs in a separate small bowl.
- Place flour in a separate small bowl.
- To bread chicken, coat chicken pieces in flour (shaking off excess), dip in egg and coat in corn flake mixture.
- Arrange breaded chicken nuggets on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
- Let the chicken nuggets cool and then place them in a single layer on a wire rack and place them in the freezer for 1 hour – this will keep the chicken nuggets from all sticking together when you place them in a bag in the freezer and pull out a couple for a quick lunch. If you don’t mind them all sticking together, you can skip this step.
- Baking Sheet
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Ziploc Bag
- small bowl (2)