When I was little my mom would cook all sorts of different casseroles, and now as a mom, I completely understand why! You can get all of your major food groups normally into one dish. Pop it in the oven and you are good to go.
One of my kids’ favorite meals is sloppy Joes. They never complain when I make it. But, let’s be real, we can only eat sloppy Joes so many times a month. Hahaha.
So, we tried putting it all together and this beautiful casserole creation was born. My kids are happy and I get to eat something *slightly* different. Talk about a win win situation!
Below are lists of everything you need for this cornbread topped casserole recipe, then make sure to keep reading for the directions!
Ingredients for cornbread casserole with jiffy mix:
- Ground beef
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper
- Brown sugar
- Red wine vinegar
- BBQ seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Box of Jiffy corn muffin mix (like THESE ones)
- Vegetable oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
While using a box of jiffy mix is super easy and convenient, if you want to make your own cornbread from scratch you could make this Jiffy corn muffin mix copycat recipe from Food and use that in place of the box in the recipe.
Remember to have these items too!
- Large skillet
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Small mixing bowl
- 8 x 8 inch baking dish (THIS one works great)
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I love ground beef, but I don’t necessarily love cooking it. We have found the perfect shortcut you will love.
Did you know you could prepare your ground beef in the instant pot? Watch how to make ground beef in the Instant Pot, HERE
Could I make this Cornbread Sloppy Joe Casserole using ground turkey?
This recipe calls for ground beef. I personally love the flavor of the ground beef, but I get that there are healthier alternatives.
If you are not a huge ground beef fan, you could also use ground turkey. I have used ground turkey and it still tastes great, but for the best flavor, we recommend using ground turkey.
I have never used ground chicken for making this recipe, but I would probably stick to ground beef or ground turkey on this one.
Easy dinners with 6 ingredients or less
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
With our favorite one-pot wings dish or a no-bake peanut butter bar, this cookbook is a fool-proof solution to meal planning. It also features kid-friendly chapters such as “Kid Favorites” and “Kids Can Cook.”
How to make the best Cornbread Sloppy Joe Casserole recipe:
To begin, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef.
Once the meat is completely browned, add in the diced red onion, and red bell pepper.
In a medium mixing bowl, make up the BBQ sauce by mixing the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, BBQ seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce together.
After the onions and peppers are tender, add in the BBQ sauce you just made and reduce the heat to medium heat and let the BBQ sauce cook into the meat for 5 minutes. Then reduce the heat to a simmer for another 5 minutes.
While that is cooking, mix up the corn muffin mix, egg, oil, and milk together. The batter will still be a little bit lumpy and that’s okay!
When the meat has thickened up a bit, then move it to the 8×8 baking pan or a skillet.
After all the meat is in the baking pan, pour the cornbread mixture evenly over top of the whole pan.
Then, place the dish in the oven and bake it for 25-35 minutes. To be sure it is done, use a toothpick and insert it into the cornbread and see if it comes out clean. If it does, then it is done and can be removed from the oven.
Next, immediately sprinkle the casserole with cheese and let it melt for a couple of minutes then serve and enjoy!
Have you been able to check out our YouTube channel?
We have so many great easy family dinner recipes that we share on it. When you check it out make sure that you subscribe so you don’t miss any of our new recipes!
We love a lot of great casserole recipes, as well as so many more your family will love.
More dinner casserole recipe ideas to enjoy!
- CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI NOODLE CASSEROLE RECIPE
- MOM’S EASY CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE RECIPE (CHICKEN DIVAN)
- JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE (BEEF AND BISCUIT CASSEROLE)
- MILLION DOLLAR CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
Cornbread Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon BBQ seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 8.5 ounce Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add ground beef. When meat is browned, add onions and peppers.
- In a medium-sized bowl, prepare BBQ sauce by mixing together brown sugar, vinegar, BBQ seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce.
- When vegetables are tender, add BBQ sauce to skillet, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes and let the mixture thicken up a little bit.
- During that time, stir together corn muffin mix, egg, oil, and milk. It will be a little lumpy.
- Once the beef mixture has thickened up a little bit, spoon it into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Pour the cornbread mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with cheese. Let cheese melt for a couple of minutes and then serve.
- If you’re not a fan of cornbread, biscuits would be a great replacement.
- Large Skillet
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 8×8-inch baking pan
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.