Soup season has arrived and I am always looking for new and delicious soups that my family will enjoy. I have to say, soup season may be my favorite season. Along with all the fun holidays that come with it.
As I have mentioned before, my husband will only consider soup a main dish if it is super hearty – and let me tell you, this soup is loaded.
Serve it with some crusty french bread (or better yet, make Homemade French Bread and knock the pants off your family and friends) and you have the perfect meal for a chilly fall day.
What could I serve with this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup?
For this soup, we usually keep the side dishes pretty simple and make a quick side salad (from a bag, yes), and some type of bread.
You could make your own bread (I recommend trying our Sheet Pan Garlic Breadsticks) or you could even use a store bought garlic bread recipe as well.
Both would work great, and taste delicious, dipped in the soup.
Sneak in extra veggies into this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup:
I love this soup, because I can get away with sneaking in extra vegetables, and my kids would never even know.
This recipe does have a few vegetables in it already, but you could easily add a few more.
Here are a few sneaky vegetables we recommend throwing in (we of course chop them up pretty small):
- Yellow Squash
- Water Chestnuts
Really any veggie would work great. They won’t even be able to tell or detect it, I guarantee it.
Watch how to make another favorite soup, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge soup fan. It is so easy to throw together, and it tastes absolutely amazing. This Detox Vegetable Soup is full of flavor, as well as veggies. You are going to love it. Watch how easy it is to make, here:
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Black Bean Taco Soup
- Mom’s Crock Pot Chili
- Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 8 red potatoes cubed
- ½ onion diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (8 ounce) cooked diced ham
- 2 (14.5 ounce) chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot combine potatoes, onion, carrots, peas, ham and chicken broth
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and let cook until potatoes are soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and continue to stir constantly until the mixture thickens (about 1-2 minutes).
- Slowly add the milk to the butter/flour mixture, stirring the entire time so that you don't get any lumps. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens once again (takes about 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the cheese to the butter/flour/milk mixture and stir until it's completely melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the stock pot with the vegetables and ham and stir until completely incorporated. It will get thicker as it cools.
- Yellow Squash
- Water Chestnuts
- Stock Pot
- Small Saucepan
(Recipe adapted from Food.com)