This layered enchilada casserole is super simple to make and full of great flavor. It is an easy family dinner recipe that you can add into your weekly or monthly rotation to spice up those easy staple dinner recipes.
I find that if I love the outcome of the meal I am just that much more excited to make it, especially if it is a simple recipe. It’s an added bonus that the kids love this recipe too!
Normally we will pair this dinner recipe with some of our favorite sides like our Mexican street corn salad recipe, Spanish cauliflower rice (all the fun colors!), or of course some delicious 20 minute skillet refried beans.
Look at the list below to find out what exactly you will need for this budget-friendly dinner!
Ingredients for green enchilada casserole:
- Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 10-inch white flour tortillas (you can use corn tortillas as well)
- 28 oz can of green enchilada sauce
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream
Try making your own flour tortillas with this 30 Minute Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe from Just a Taste.
Other necessary kitchen items:
- 8×11 inch baking dish (THIS is a good one to use)
- Aluminum foil (THIS is my go-to favorite foil)
- Pot or Instant Pot if you plan to cook your chicken rather than buying a rotisserie chicken at the store
Easy Dinners With 6 Ingredients or Less
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
With our favorite one-pot wings dish or a no-bake peanut butter bar, this cookbook is a fool-proof solution to meal planning. It also features kid-friendly chapters such as Kid Favorites and Kids Can Cook.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Directions on how to make easy layered green enchilada chicken casserole:
For this recipe you will want to have cooked chicken breast that has already been shredded. If you want it to be super easy you can even buy a rotisserie chicken and use that and shred up the chicken.
When you begin to start cooking, turn the oven on and preheat it to 350 degrees.
Then take your 8×11 inch baking dish and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Once that is done, pour 1/4th of the green enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
Next, tear up 3 tortilla shells how you see fit to cover the whole bottom.
Now, top the tortilla shells with half of the chicken, 2/3rds cup of cheese, ½ cup of sour cream, and another 1/4th of the green enchilada sauce.
Tear up 3 more tortilla shells to cover the enchilada sauce and repeat the chicken, cheese, sour cream, and enchilada sauce layers again.
Then, tear up the remaining 3 tortilla shells and place it on top of the other layers, and then pour the last of the enchilada sauce, and finally the cheese on top.
After all of the layers have been completed, cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 45 minutes, and serve it hot out of the oven with your favorite toppings.
A FEW FAVORITE TOPPINGS:
This layered enchilada casserole is great standing alone, but we love it with some delicious toppings, too.
- Sour cream (the more the better)
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
Could I make this layered enchilada casserole ahead of time and freeze it?
For this recipe, we recommend making, heating and eating it right away. However, you could make it and freeze it, then bake it later, but the tortillas will be a little on the soggy side.
We recommend covering it with foil and saran wrap as well, if you plan to freeze it. To bake it, you will want to increase the baking time by about 10 minutes.
Looking for a side dish? Here is a simple one the whole family will love:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
This Mexican Street Corn Salad takes minutes to throw together and tastes great paired with enchilada casserole.
More casserole dishes to fill up your weekly menu!
- TEXAS RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- BROCCOLI CHICKEN AND RICE BAKE
- CHICKEN CORDON BLEU CASSEROLE RECIPE
- JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE (BEEF AND BISCUIT CASSEROLE)
- SLOW COOKER HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
- SKINNY CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
Green Chile Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 9 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 28 ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 8 ounce container sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 8x11" baking dish.
- Pour 1/4 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Rip up 3 tortillas and cover the enchilada sauce layer. Top with half the chicken, 2/3 cup of cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and another fourth of the enchilada sauce. Repeat.
- Top the last layer of tortillas with the last of the enchilada sauce and the last 2/3 cup of cheese.
- over and bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.