We love our Cheeseburger Casserole! All of the flavor of a cheeseburger in an easy-to-make casserole.
Can this Cheeseburger Casserole be made ahead of time?
Yes, this Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole can be made ahead of time. I recommend only making your casserole 1-2 days ahead of time if you are storing it in the fridge.
Can you freeze this casserole?
If you are going to need to have your casserole made more than 1-2 days ahead of time then you can freeze it. Follow the recipe directions until it comes time to cook the casserole.
Rather than cooking the casserole, cover your pan tightly with aluminum foil then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer in a level spot.
How to reheat this casserole:
If you have frozen your casserole and need to reheat it, simply place the frozen casserole in the fridge 24 hours before intended use. After your casserole has thawed completely, cook following recipe directions.
Looking for more delicous casseroles?! Try our John Wayne Casserole for a hearty dinner your family will love!
How to make Cheeseburger Casserole:
I love easy, healthy recipes that my kids will eat and this Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole was no exception.
I started by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and cooking my penne pasta. After that was done, I drained it and set it aside.
While my pasta was cooking, I browned some ground turkey, onion, and minced garlic that had been seasoned with steak seasoning then drained any excess liquid.
I added two undrained cans of diced tomatoes to my meat mixture.
Next, I added a few tablespoons of tomato paste, mustard and pickle relish. I know that sounds weird, but remember that this is cheeseburger casserole. 😉
After that mixture had heated through, I tossed it in with my whole wheat penne pasta I had set aside earlier.
I added a little shredded cheddar cheese to really give it that cheeseburger flavor.
Then mixed in some sour cream to add some creaminess to the casserole.
I poured my mixture into a greased baking pan then sprinkled the rest of the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
I baked my casserole at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese was completely melted and the casserole was heated through.
To top it off, I added a little shredded lettuce and diced tomato and it was like we were eating cheeseburgers in casserole form!
Related Recipe: Try The BEST Cheeseburger Soup!
The Best Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes 2 (14.5oz cans), do not drain
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tomato diced
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey, diced onion, minced garlic and steak seasoning to the pan and cook until turkey is browned; drain any excess liquid.
- Add undrained cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, mustard, pickle relish, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir continuously until it starts bubbling.
- Add mixture to cooked Penne pasta and mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is completely heated through.
- Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes before serving.
To make this a Freezer Meal:
- Follow the recipe directions until it comes time to cook the casserole.
- Rather than cooking the casserole, cover your pan tightly with aluminum foil then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer in a level spot.
- If you have frozen your casserole and need to reheat it, simply place the frozen casserole in the fridge 24 hours before intended use. After your casserole has thawed completely, cook following recipe directions.
- large pot
- Large Skillet
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!