Pretty much anything pumpkin is a way to my heart. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin cake, and of course our best pumpkin roll recipe!
I am not sure what it is about pumpkin desserts but they are always so moist and flavorful when you have an awesome recipe. This pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling is just that, tasty and full of pumpkin flavor!
Plus for this recipe to make the pumpkin roll without using a towel (some use a towel to roll it up, this recipe does not) you will use parchment paper instead! The parchment paper serves a dual purpose and is easier to handle.
Since you can never have too many pumpkin recipes, take a look at our Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins Recipe, Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe, and of course you need a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Muffins Recipe.
Ingredients for our best pumpkin roll recipe:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract
- Canned pumpkin
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
Since it is that time of the year where we are wanting to bake all the pumpkin things, you might want to make your own pumpkin pie spice in bulk! Take a look at this easy recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice from Live Well, Bake Often, and make as many batches as you think you’ll need this Fall.
Make sure to have these too!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan (THIS is a great one)
- Parchment paper
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl (2)
- Hand mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Wire rack (THIS rack is the perfect size)
Related Recipe: Be sure to try this delicious Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake.
Quick and Easy Family Meals
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
With our favorite one-pot wings dish or a no-bake peanut butter bar, this cookbook is a fool-proof solution to meal planning. It also features kid-friendly chapters such as “Kid Favorites” and “Kids Can Cook.”
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
How to make the best pumpkin roll recipe!
Begin by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.
Then, using your 10×15 inch jelly roll pan, spray the bottom with nonstick cooking spray.
Next place a piece of parchment paper over top, long enough so you have a few extra inches to hang over the edge on each side and then spray the top of it with more nonstick spray (each side should have nonstick spray).
Now in a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and the pumpkin pie spice and then set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar and eggs (try to have them at room temperature) with a hand mixer until the mixture is creamy. This will take about 2 minutes or so.
Once that is done, add in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree, mixing it all together until completely incorporated.
After the wet mixture is combined, add in the flour mixture and hand mix with a wooden spoon until everything is just combined. Do not over mix to keep a good texture to the sponge cake.
Now that the cake batter is done, pour it into the prepared jelly roll pan making sure to spread the batter evenly throughout the pan.
After that is done, carefully place the pan in the preheated oven and bake it for about 13-14 minutes or until the cake is set. The cake should spring back when you touch it with your finger.
When the cake is done, quickly remove the cake from the pan by lifting up the overhanging parchment paper on the shorter ends.
Place the cake on the counter and take one end and begin to roll the cake WITH THE PARCHMENT ON creating a snug (but not super tight) roll.
After it is all rolled, place the cake seam side down on the counter or wire rack and let it finish cooling down. (Could take a few hours.)
Once the cake is done cooling down, make up the cream cheese filling by mixing together the cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk in a large mixing bowl until it becomes creamy.
Now, unroll the cake CAREFULLY and then spread the filling on top of the cake. But, make sure to leave about a ½ inch border on all sides of the cake without filling.
After that is done carefully roll the cake back up, but this time peel the parchment paper away as you roll making sure not to leave any parchment that could get rolled up in the cake.
Next, cover the pumpkin roll and let it chill for about an hour.
When you are ready to serve it, sprinkle some powdered sugar over top and slice it into 1 inch thick pieces and then enjoy!
This can also be covered and frozen for later as well! That is if you can ward off the temptation to eat it. 😉
Pump Up The Pumpkin!
Our YouTube channel is what you want to be watching this Fall! We have so many great autumn recipes that your friends and family will love. Plus we show you have to make it all.
More pumpkin dessert recipes to enjoy:
- The BEST Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Bread
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
The Best Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) with non stick cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper with some extra paper hanging over the sides of the narrow edge of the pan (10 inch side).
- Then spray the parchment paper in the pan with more cooking spray. (So now both sides of the parchment paper have been sprayed). Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice with a whisk. Stir just until combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the sugar and eggs together with a hand mixer. Beat until creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the vanilla and pumpkin puree. Mix until well blended.
- Then add in the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix just until combined, Do not overmix.
- Carefully place batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to cover the entire pan. Place in the preheated oven and cook until cake is set. (About 13-14 minutes) The top should spring back when touched with finger.
- When cake is done cooking, quickly remove from pan by holding onto the overhanging parchment paper on each narrow end of the pan.
- Place on the counter and begin to roll the cake up with the parchment paper. Roll snug, but not so tight that is mashes the cake. When done rolling up, place seam side down against the counter to cool. You could also carefully lift and place on a wire rack to cool for a few hours.
- After the cake is done cooling, make the filling by placing the cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a large mixing bowl. Cream together with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Unroll the cake very gently. Spread the filling over the entire cake leaving about 1/2 inch leaving about 1/2 inch around the edge on all four sides.
- After your spread on the filling, carefully roll up the cake roll again. But this time do not roll with the parchment paper.
- Cover and chill for about an hour.
- Sprinkle cake roll with powdered sugar and slice into 1 inch thick slices and serve.
- Store cake in the fridge. It also freezes well.
- Let the cake roll cool completely before adding filling.
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 10×15 Baking Sheet
- parchment paper
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 2 Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
- Wooden Spoon
- Wire Rack
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.