We love a change up for breakfast, and this cinnamon streusel coffee cake will not disappoint. It’s so easy to make, and your house will smell so good.
We use Bisquick mix for this coffee cake. Bisquick is not just flour, it also contains oil and baking soda which will help it rise.
is coffee cake always dry?
Coffee cake is often called crumb cake. Not because it may be dry, but because of the crumbly streusel topping.
Coffee cakes are drier than a dessert cake. Coffee cakes have milk, buttermilk, or sour cream as the moistening ingredient. And you can increase those amounts slightly to add a little moisture.
Coffee cakes aren’t always dry. If the coffee cake is extremely dry, it could be the result of many things. Cooking your coffee cake too long is the most common problem. Also, not enough oil or fats in your recipe – like butter or oil. Bisquick does have some oil in it, but you can always add just a small amount if your coffee cake is dry.
does coffee cake have coffee in it?
I loved watching Alvin and the Chipmunks when I was little and I remember in one episode that Theodore was on a game show and the winning questions was if there was coffee in coffee cake. That was the first time I had heard of coffee cake and then I felt so smart that I knew there wasn’t coffee in coffee cake! Ha Ha!
Coffee cake got it’s name because it is a cake topped with a streusel topping and usually served with a cup of coffee or tea at breakfast.
Some recipes could have a little coffee in it, but it’s name comes from the fact that it is served with coffee.
add ins for coffee cake
There are so many options as far adding extra ingredients to your coffee cake. Here are some of our favorites:
- Fruit – Canned fruit or pie filling makes for a delicious coffee cake.
- Nuts – Nuts go perfectly in a coffee cake adding the perfect taste and crunch.
- Chocolate – We often like a sweet coffee cake. Adding a handful of chocolate chips is delicious.
how to make Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Cinnamon Streusel cake only needs a few ingredients that you may already have on hand.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9 inch round baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix together the Streusel ingredients – Bisquick, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the cake ingredients until blended.
- Spread about 1 cup of the batter in the bottom of pan. (If hard to spread, moisten fingers with water)
- Sprinkle about 3/4 of the streusel topping on the dough.
- Drop the remaining batter over the streusel by teaspoons. Spread carefully over the streusel, moisten fingers if necessary. Be sure not to spread batter to the edge because you want the brown sugar and streusel on the edges.
- Sprinkle remaining streusel on top and spread evenly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
helpful items used in this recipe
- Pastry Blender – This handy kitchen tool is a must.
- 9 Inch Cake Pan – We like this sturdy non stick pan.
- Mixing Bowls – We love this 3 piece mixing bowl set.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
MORE TASTY CAKE RECIPES FOR YOU
Here are more tasty coffee cakes for you to enjoy:
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
- ⅔ cup Original Bisquick mix
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter
- 2 cups Original Bisquick mix
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking non stick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir the Bisquick mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork until crumbly; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir cake ingredients until blended.
- Spread about 1 cup of the batter in pan.
- Sprinkle with about 3/4 cup of the streusel.
- Drop remaining batter over top of streusel by teaspoons. Spread carefully over streusel. (It helps to wet your fingertips with water for spreading)
- Don't spread the batter all the way to the edge because you want the cinnamon sugar on the edges.
- Sprinkle remaining streusel over top and spread as even as you can.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
Watch how easy it is to make our Easy Baked Pancakes for meal prep.