Related Recipe: These Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are light, fluffy and so delicious that no one will know they are lower in calories!
How to make pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2: Beat together butter, shortening, sugars, pumpkin, and egg. You could do this by hand, hand mixer, or Kitchen Aid type mixer.
- Step 3: Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
- Step 4: Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Step 5: Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Step 6: In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Step 7: Roll dough balls in sugar mixture until completely coated.
- Step 8: Place dough balls about 2″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Step 9: Bake 7-9 minutes until lightly browned, but still soft.
- Step 10: Place on a cooling rack to allow the cookies to cool, rather than keep cooking on the pan.
- Step 11: Serve and enjoy.
Tips for making perfect pumpkin snickerdoodles every time:
These cookies are extremely basic and easy to throw together if you need a quick cookie recipe. Ten simple ingredients you probably already have on hand, and you are ready to go.
This recipe calls for softened butter. You will want to be sure your butter is softened, not melted. If you use melted butter, the cookie dough will be runny and difficult to roll into balls, making the cinnamon and sugar step almost impossible.
I have found the best way to soften butter is to let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, and it will be perfectly soft. We do not recommend microwaving it.
Your batter may look a little like this, and that is perfectly fine. The butter will fold nicely with the flour so if your batter is looking a little lumpy, don’t stress.
Add your dry ingredients into the bowl, and begin mixing. I found this works best when I use a wooden spoon. You can use some form of electric mixer, but I prefer the classic bowl and spoon.
This should be about the right consistency of your dough. If it is a little soft and sticky, don’t worry, refrigerating your dough will help stiffen it up. We recommend refrigerating it for at least 30 minutes, but we suggest closer to an hour.
Once you are done baking them, I suggest moving them to a cooling rack to allow them to completely cool down, and to keep the bottoms from burning. If they are on a hot pan, they will cook the bottoms of the cookies and you don’t want to burn your snickerdoodles. These are best soft and not overcooked.
Garnish with a little extra cinnamon and sugar, if desired, and enjoy. We love these with milk or hot chocolate. They are simple, delicious, and perfect for fall.
I have tried a lot of Pumpkin Snickerdoodle recipes, but I have to say this one is my favorite. They have just the right amount of pumpkin flavor, and the perfect amount of spice. If you have never tried these cookies, you need to stop what you are doing and make them.
Do these freeze well?
These freeze great. If you have leftovers, place them in a ziplock bag and place them in the freezer. I think they taste even more delicious frozen. They make the most delicious hot chocolate dipping cookies.
Watch how to make them here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of tried and true recipes we want to share with you. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it.
Watch how to make these Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies here:
why do i need to chill my dough?
If you haven’t ever tried chilling your dough, you need to. Chilling your dough leads to tastier and better looking cookies. They stay puffy, they cook more evenly, and the color actually looks better.
- Your cookies will taste better. The sugars have more time to absorb the moisture from other ingredients. This leads to a more condensed flavor, and sweeter tasting cookies.
- Less spreading. Thin cookies burn faster, but as the dough chills and hardens a little bit, they don’t cook as flat. The chilling minimizes the spreading out of fat when you cook them. Everyone loves a thick chewy cookie with a soft middle. My mouth is watering just writing about these.
- A more appealing color. This again is related to the sugar in the cookie. Chilling the dough and sugar gives the cookie a more evenly golden color.
What do I serve with my Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Our favorite holiday drink is our grandma’s famous Homemade Apple Cider. We love dunking our cookies into it, and getting that delicious pumpkin, cinnamon, and apple flavor, all in one bite.
We also love dunking our cookies in our Nutella Hot Chocolate. If you have never tried a Pumpkin Snickerdoodle, we recommend it with a little Nutella. If the Nutella is in Hot Cocoa form, that’s even better.
Looking for more holiday cookies? Here are a few favorites:
- Cake Mix Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Santa Cookies
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- White Chocolate Cheesecake Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Hershey’s Kiss Cookies
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 3¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar (for rolling)
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon (for rolling)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Beat together butter, shortening, sugars, pumpkin, and egg.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Roll dough balls in sugar mixture until completely coated.
- Place dough balls about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-9 minutes until lightly browned, but still soft.
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube
There’s always something to celebrate! This cookbook is the ultimate go-to guide for celebrating every holiday and creating memories with the people you love.
Celebrate every season with us! Our cookbook, Celebrate Every Season, is filled with 150+ recipes, traditions and fun ideas for each month of the year.
We hope you make priceless memories with your family as you celebrate every season with this cookbook!
Order your copy here → Six Sisters’ Stuff Celebrate Every Season