These Instant Pot baked beans are sooo good! And they are super easy to make so they would be a perfect beginner Instant Pot recipe to make to go with your BBQ this weekend.
If you have never had baked beans that were not from a can, then you are MISSING OUT! This is recipe is going to change your life forever. It is such a simple Instant Pot recipe!
Not only does the Instant Pot do most of the work, but it also enhances the flavors in a short amount of time compared to making them in a slow cooker. I’m talking about heavenly flavor development!
Since you can turn the Instant Pot into a little skillet, you don’t even have to make the bacon somewhere else. Everything can be made right in the Instant Pot. How amazing is that! Just another reason why we love the Instant Pot.
To add even more amazing recipes to your BBQ take a look at our instant pot lobster mac and cheese recipe, slow cooker creamy mashed potatoes recipe, or our copycat Disneyland chili lime corn on the cob recipe.
Find out below what you will need for this easy side dish recipe!
Baked beans ingredients:
- Great northern beans (1lb bag)
- Thick-cut bacon
- BBQ sauce
- Can of diced chiles
- Maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
If you happen to have everything but dijon mustard and are trying to avoid a trip to the grocery store, take a look at this list of 6 dijon mustard substitutes from Spoon University you might have something you can use and avoid that extra trip.
You will also need these items to make baked beans, not from a can:
- Instant Pot
- Strainer/colander (THIS one works great!)
- Wooden spoon
So many Instant Pots to choose from! HELP!
I know there are so many different versions and sizes of the Instant Pot now that it can make it hard to choose “the right one”.
Well, I’d have to say that you will not go wrong with any of them! But, I have the Instant Pot LUX 6 Quart 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker. It’s basically 6 appliances in 1 – pressure cooker, rice cooker, saute, steamer, cake maker, and warmer. It is awesome!
Learn how to many these easy Instant Pot baked beans:
Starting this recipe off have your Instant Pot out and ready. Then add in the great northern beans, water, and salt into the Instant Pot.
Once that is all in there, place the lid on top and turn the valve to the “SEALING” position and press the “MANUAL” button. Using high pressure set the timer for 25 minutes.
After the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure completely.
When the pin drops, you will know all of the pressure has left. Now you can open the lid and carefully pour the beans into the strainer. Then rinse the beans with cold water and set them aside for a minute.
Return the inner pot back to the Instant Pot and press the “CANCEL” button and then the “SAUTE” button. Add in the bacon into the Instant Pot and heat it until it begins to brown.
Once the bacon has browned, carefully drain some of the grease from the Instant Pot and then add in the diced onions and cook them until they are tender.
Now, press the “CANCEL” button again and add in the ketchup, BBQ sauce, chilies, syrup, and the dijon mustard. Stir everything together making sure to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Next, add the beans back into the Instant Pot and stir them together with the BBQ sauce mixture.
Once everything is mixed well, add the lid back on top of the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is still set on the “SEALING” position.
Then press the “MANUAL” button and set the timer for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up let the Instant Pot naturally release the pressure again.
Once the pin drops, all of the pressure has been released and you can remove the lid.
Give the baked beans a good stir and then they are ready to be served!
It’s BBQ-ing time! Take a look at these great recipes for this weekend:
- INSTANT POT FALL OFF THE BONE BBQ RIBS
- DEVILED EGG POTATO SALAD
- SLOW COOKER CHEESY POTATOES
- FALL OFF THE BONE BBQ RIBS
- EASY SLOW COOKER BBQ PULLED PORK SANDWICHES
- EASY BOSTON BAKED BEANS
- INSTANT POT SWEET AND SPICY BBQ BEANS
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound Great Northern beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- ½ medium onion diced, optional
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 4 ounces diced chilies 1 can
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Add beans, water, and salt to your Instant Pot. Cook on MANUAL using high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Remove the lid and pour the beans into a strainer, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE and heat the bacon until it starts to brown. Drain some of the grease, then add the onions and cook until tender.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add ketchup, BBQ sauce, Chiles, Syrup, and mustard. Stir, making sure to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the beans back into the Instant Pot and stir until completely combined.
- Replace the lid, turn the steam valve to SEALING and cook on MANUAL for 15 minutes. Naturally release the pressure and stir before serving.
- Instant Pot
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.