If you haven’t heard of the Best Cheeseburger Soup recipe, you need to keep reading. It is a family favorite dinner recipe at our house.
It is basically a cheesy ground beef soup with amazing flavors that make you feel like a cheeseburger.
You can make this easy ground beef soup recipe for a simple dinner recipe and have plenty as leftovers for lunch the next day.
With the spices, chicken broth, and Velveeta cheese used in this recipe, (YES I said Velveeta!) you cannot go wrong with this soup.
This cheeseburger soup goes perfectly with some of our 30 Minute Homemade Rolls, a simple Citrus Fruit Salad, and Italian Roasted Vegetables.
Ingredients Needed For The Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe:
- Lean ground beef
- Diced onion
- Shredded carrots
- Diced celery
- Dried basil
- Dried parsley flakes
- Cubed potatoes
- Chicken broth
- All-purpose flour
- Velveeta cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh Parsley
How To Make Our Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe:
Grab your large saucepan and add in the ground beef and brown it until it is no longer pink.
The drain the grease from the pan and set the meat aside in a small bowl for later.
In the same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
Then add in the diced onion, shredded carrots, diced celery, a sprinkle of basil and parsley on top and saute all of the vegetables together until they are tender. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
Next you are going to add in the cubed potatoes, chicken broth, and cooked ground beef (that you set aside) to the saucepan and let the ingredients come to a boil.
Once it has reached the boiling point, turn down the heat and let it simmer covered until the potatoes are tender. Depending on the size you cut them it should take about 10-12 minutes.
While the soup is cooking, in a small skillet, place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and melt it over medium heat.
After the butter has melted, add in the flour and whisk it together until it begins to get nice and bubbly. Doing this you are creating your rue for the soup.
When the flour mixture becomes bubbly add it to the soup and mix it in.
Then turn the temperature to slow and stir in the Velveeta cheese, milk, salt, and pepper.
Continue stirring it all together until the cheese has completely melted.
After the ingredients are all melted and combined, remove the soup from heat and serve it in a bowl with sour cream and some fresh parsley and enjoy!
To Make Cheesy Ground Beef Soup You Will Need:
- Large saucepan (THIS is a wonderful one!)
- Small skillet
- Small bowl
Healthy Ground Beef Alternatives:
I know not everyone is a fan of ground beef, and that is okay! Or maybe you are, but you want to change it up and make it a little healthier, then let’s find some great alternatives to using beef for this recipe.
Take a look over at Better Homes and Garden’s list of Healthy Meat Substitutes on what you can use in place of the ground beef for this recipe.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you!
It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Change Up Your Ground Beef Recipes With These Delicious and Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Baked Sloppy Joes Recipe
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Baked Beef Taquitos Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Shells and Beef Recipe
- John Wayne Casserole (Beef and Biscuit Casserole)Recipe
The Best Cheeseburger Soup Recipe (Cheesy Ground Beef Soup)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 Tablespoons butter divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese or 2 cups shredded cheese*
- 1½ cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste about ½ teaspoon of each
- ¼ cup sour cream
- fresh parsley optional garnish
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease (if desired) and set meat aside.
- In that same saucepan, melt 1 Tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add in onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle basil and parsley on top. Saute until vegetables are tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add potatoes and broth, then add ground beef back to the saucepan; bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender (which will take about 10-12 minutes).
- While the soup cooks, place remaining butter (3 Tablespoons) in a small skillet over medium heat on the stove top.
- Add flour and whisk together until butter starts to cook and get bubbly. Add butter/flour mixture to the soup. Reduce heat on stove top to low and stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.
- Remove soup from stove top and stir in sour cream. Top with additional fresh parsley if desired.
- Large Saucepan
- small skillet
- small bowl
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews