I love soft sugar cookies. That is one treat I have NO control of. If you are looking for an easy sugar cookie recipe, you have got to try these cookies.
Sugar cookies are a classic. With this soft sugar cookie recipe it is super simple, just roll and ice and their good to go.
Thick and soft sugar cookies are the best type of sugar cookies. These soft and chewy sugar cookies are a crowd pleaser around the holidays.
While this recipe isn’t meant for cookie cutters our Santa Sugar Cookies or our Delicious Soft Sugar Cookies are great for designing the perfect Christmas cookies. You could also mix it up a little bit and try these cute Reindeer Sugar Cookies Recipe.
These are seriously some of the best sugar cookies. Soft cookies are great for decorating, and you can use this recipe beyond Christmas. Think Valentine’s Day, Halloween, Easter, etc. There’s nothing better than soft frosted sugar cookies! The best part about these is that they’re super simple and are way better than store sugar cookies.
What do you need to make chewy soft sugar cookies?
Soft sugar cookie ingredients:
- Softened butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
With this dough, you can even make it ahead of time (a day or two) and keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to make them. If you haven’t made the dough in that time, wrap it up tight, put it in a freezer bag and freeze it. When you want to make them, just pull out the froze dough and thaw then roll and bake them.
You can even make the cookies and keep them in an airtight container and freeze them.
This super soft sugar cookies recipe is also able to be doubled if you are looking to bring these delicious cookies to a party or giving them out as gifts to friends and family. Without doubling the recipe you will get around 36 cookies.
If you live in a higher altitude you may want to check out these articles to give you tips:
Tips to make the best soft sugar cookies with frosting like the store:
- Use a sheet of parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper use a silicone baking mat.
- Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for at least an hour before baking the sugar cookies.
- Pull cookies from the cookie sheet after taking them out of the oven to stop the baking process.
- If you are wanting pure white frosting you might want to consider getting clear vanilla flavor extract as the regular vanilla extract will tint the color of the frosting.
How to make super soft sugar cookies:
Begin by creaming together the softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. After the butter and sugar are completely mixed together, add in the eggs and vanilla until they are well combined.
Next, you will need to add in the salt, baking powder, and flour and mix everything together until they are incorporated completely. Then cover the dough with plastic wrap and move it to the refrigerator for at least one hour. This lets the relax and stops the dough from spreading while baking.
When you are ready to start baking the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or your silicone mat.
Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll the dough into small 1-inch balls and then flatten them with the bottom of a drinking glass until the cookie reaches about a ¼-inch thick repeat this until the sheets are full and your dough is gone.
You could also roll them out and cut them into shape. You will want to spread about 2 Tablespoons of flour on a flat surface to do this.
Put the cookie sheet in the oven and bake the sugar cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown slightly. Move the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
While you’re waiting for the cookies to cool completely, begin to make your frosting.
Use either a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the powdered sugar and butter until you achieve a creamy texture. Then, mix in the vanilla and milk until they are smooth.
You can use water if you do not have any milk as well. But, the frosting will not be quite as creamy.
Use food coloring to add to the frosting if you want to! Then frost the cooled sugar cookies with frosting and top with sprinkles of your choice if you desire it.
MORE POPULAR SUGAR COOKIE RECIPES
- Back-to-school Alphabet Sugar Cookies
- Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Valentine Sugar Cookies
- Spider Web Sugar Cookies
- Easy Easter Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Cake Mix Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
- The BEST Sugar Cookie Bars
Make your favorite restaurant dishes in your own kitchen:
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Super Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover dough bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll cookies into 1-inch balls and flatten with the bottom of a drinking glass until 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly golden brown on the bottom.
- Let cool completely.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, beat together powdered sugar and butter until creamy. Mix in vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Frost cooled cookies with frosting and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Use food coloring to add to the frosting if you want to! Then frost the cooled sugar cookies with frosting and top with sprinkles of your choice if you desire it.
- If the frosting is not thick enough, add a little more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick add in a little more milk.
- For an extra creamy frosting, add in a few tablespoons of shortening. (It’s so delicious!)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- parchment paper
- Hand or Stand Mixer
This post was included in our 10 of the BEST Cookie Recipes video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.