Christmas just isn’t Christmas without delicious sugar cookies. Our family is full of sugar cookie junkies.
Our cute mom saw some Santa cookies at a local restaurant and decided that she could easily make her own. These cookies were a huge hit at our party and if you need a darling cookie for a cookie exchange, this is your go-to cookie.
Our mom makes a killer sugar cookie- they are incredibly soft and delicious (the secret ingredient- sour cream). You can’t taste the sour cream, but it makes the cookies extremely moist and soft.
what could i use if i don’t have a circle cookie cutter?
We used a circle cookie cutter that was about 3 inches in diameter. If you don’t have a circular cookie cutter, that is a simple fix.
The top of a glass from your kitchen cupboard works great. You want it to be thin. We used a glass cup and it gives it a clean and sharp cut.
A glass that is smooth on all sides could also double as a rolling pin if you don’t have one.
what could i use instead of coconut for santa’s beard?
We love coconut, but understand that it isn’t for everyone. If you are looking for a coconut substitute, we have a few ideas for you.
- Piped frosting –This may take a little more time, but you could pipe on the white frosting just for the beard, so it looks different from the rest of the cookie. His beard will look as realistic as you desire, depending on what you use to pipe it.
- Grated white chocolate – Grate a white chocolate bar with a cheese grater. It will make a great Santa beard.
- White cotton candy – Cotton candy is sometimes difficult to find, but is often on the candy aisle. Also on Amazon.
- White sprinkles – White sprinkles are probably the fastest alternative, next to coconut shreds. I like to use the long skinny white ones. But any white sprinkle will work.
how to make santa sugar cookies
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar, and eggs until well blended.
- Add in baking powder, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and sour cream and stir well. Fold in flour and gently combine.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Roll out dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutter or glass.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 9 minutes.
- In another bowl combine all of the frosting ingredients together and set aside.
- Frost the cookie with the white frosting. Sprinkle the top 1/3 of the cookie with red sprinkles. (use the edge of a bowl as a guide to give it a rounded edge)
- Sprinkle the coconut on the bottom 1/3 of the cookie and a little up each side until it meets the red hat sprinkles.
- Place a mini marshmallow on the end of his hat, 2 chocolate chips for eyes, and a red hot for his nose.
If you like these sugar cookies, we have some more delicious recipes you might enjoy. These Soft Vanilla Cookies are another family favorite.
helpful items used in making Santa cookies
- Rolling Pin – We love this rolling pin. It has a non stick surface.
- 3 Piece Circle Cookie Cutters – These cookies cutters in 3 sizes can be used for many purposes.
- Cookie Sheet – 2 pack half sheet cookie pans.
- Mixing Bowl Set – 3 piece set in graduating sizes.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
looking for more Christmas Cookie recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Cake Mix Christmas Cookies
- Chocolate Reindeer Cookies
- Christmas Santa Cookies
- Soft Egg Nog Cookies
- Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
Watch Kristen make more easy and delicious Christmas cookies.