To be honest, I have never actually eaten at Bajio’s (a Fresh-Mex restaurant) but I saw this recipe over at Your Home Based Mom and knew I had to try it. It reminded me of our Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe that my family absolutely LOVES . . . and this recipe was definitely a winner!!! It was more a sweet Mexican dish instead of of a hot one, which was perfect for my kids (my husband prefers hot foods, so he poured on the hot sauce!).
The thing that I love most about this chicken is that it is so versatile! I had mine on top of a salad with black beans, avocados and tomatoes; the kids had their chicken in a quesadilla, and my husband ate his on crunchy tortilla shells . . . whatever fits your fancy!
Serves: 6 people
Slow Cooker Bajio Chicken Salad Recipe
A Bajio copycat chicken salad recipe made in your slow cooker!
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ cup brown sugar (or more for taste)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 6 oz lemon lime soda
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crock pot and cook 1 more hour. Thicken the juices with a little cornstarch mixed in water.
- Serve with flour tortillas, lettuce, cheese, black beans and any other taco fixings.
- If you want it spicier rather than sweeter add a hotter salsa and more green chilies.
- This would be easy to use as a freezer meal! Once it is all cooked and shredded, pour into a freezer gallon-sized ziploc bag. Freeze flat. When you are ready to use it, quickly reheat it (either in a crock pot or even a microwave!). (It works best if you let it thaw in your fridge for about 24 hours before reheating it)
I had mine on top of a salad with black beans, avocados and tomatoes; the kids had their chicken in a quesadilla, and my husband ate his on crunchy tortilla shells . . . whatever fits your fancy!
Calories: 210 kcal · Carbohydrates: 26 g · Protein: 21 g · Fat: 3 g · Saturated Fat: 1 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 60 mg · Sodium: 278 mg · Potassium: 581 mg · Fiber: 1 g · Sugar: 23 g · Vitamin A: 225 IU · Vitamin C: 8 mg · Calcium: 58 mg · Iron: 2 mg
- Slow Cooker