Maybe I’m crazy, but red velvet flavored anything tastes a little better around Valentine’s Day! These are perfect to make with your kids, for your neighbors, or for that very special someone (hoping my husband stumbles across this post!)
We have always loved our mom’s Homemade Oreos because they use a CAKE MIX shortcut, making them so much easier than any other cookie sandwich.
This recipe uses a cake mix as well, with a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting that is sure to win over just about any crush.
How to make red velvet cookies from a cake mix
Have you tried cake mix cookies? We know you’ll love these!
The best thing about making cookies using a cake mix, is the soft and delicious outcome. These are not the consistency of regular Oreos, but more so a soft, yummy cookie sandwich.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Red Velvet Oreo Cookies:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) package red velvet cake mix (we love the Betty Crocker Mix)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
Step 1: Mix together cake mix, eggs and shortening until well combined. The dough will be pretty thick, it may not feel like regular cookie dough but that’s okay!
Step 2: Roll dough into one inch balls. Making sure they are all similar in size will help you when stacking them.
Step 3: Place dough onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Immediately transfer cookies to a cooking rack to keep them from cooking longer on the cookie sheet.
How to make homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
We love the combination of cream cheese and red velvet in this recipe. Here’s what you’ll need to make a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting.
- 1 (8 ounce) pkg. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Cream your ingredients together using a mixer adding powdered sugar as needed to reach desired consistency. Spread onto cooled cookies.
Red Velvet Recipes on Six Sisters’ Stuff
Here are a few more delicious Red Velvet Recipes on Six Sisters’ Stuff!
- Red Velvet Cake Bites
- Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Kiss Cookies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Red Velvet Oreo Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 15.25 ounce red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together cake mix, eggs and shortening until well combined. The dough will be pretty thick.
- Roll dough into balls, making sure they are all similar in size.
- Place dough onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- Immediately transfer cookies to a cooking rack.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread onto cooled cookies and sandwich together.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!