Our sweet blogging friend Lisa from 100 Days of Real Food recently launched her newest cookbook: 100 Days of Real Food on a Budget.
Lisa’s blog (100 Days of Real Food) is pretty inspirational! She wanted to take control of what she was feeding her family, so for 100 days she only fed them “real food” – nothing processed.
As she shared her family’s journey on social media, her story became more and more popular. Her first cookbook was a New York Times Bestseller and her story is inspiring families around the world to cut out processed food and take control of what they are feeding their families.
I love that this latest book is all recipes that can be made on a budget – every single recipe can be made for $15 or less.
Check out the book:
This cookbook gives you the exact total cost for all the necessary ingredients for each dish, helping families on even the tightest of budgets to plan meals that will work for them.
Lisa has made it her mission to help families cut out processed foods and by showing how you can do it on a budget (sometimes those fresh ingredients can seem more expensive), everyone can afford to eat healthy.
Besides just the cost breakdown, every recipe also includes a beautiful picture, shopping list of ingredient, and helpful tips to make the cooking process easy.
Now onto the delicious recipe!
No need to fry this chicken!
Many times breaded chicken is deep fried, but I love that this delicious chicken is topped with the breadcrumbs and then roasted in the oven.
Because of the hot temperature it is cooked at, the breadcrumb topping is crunchy with the chicken underneath tender and moist.
How to make your own breadcrumbs
Sometimes it can be hard to find whole wheat breadcrumbs, but they are easy to make yourself! Here’s how:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a food processor, grind up 6 pieces of dried-out whole wheat bread
- Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown (stirring a couple of times during baking)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts ($5.24)
- 1 (15 ounce) canister whole wheat breadcrumbs ($2.89)
- 1 lemon ($0.65)
- Salt and pepper (pantry ingredient)
- Thyme (Garden or pantry ingredient)
- Parsley (Garden or pantry ingredient)
- 4 Tablespoons butter (fridge ingredient)
Total cost: $8.78 (or $1.76 per serving)
What to serve with Breadcrumb Chicken:
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole
- Fresh Berry Salad
- 30 Minute Homemade Rolls
- Italian Green Salad