If you are looking for a good slow cooker ground beef recipe, this slow cooker tater tot cowboy casserole is what you need! It is the perfect easy weeknight dinner that you can make with little effort and still have a wonderful meal.
I love making this recipe because of how simple it is, but also because of the delicious flavor that develops between the spices, soup, sour cream, and everything else. It is just so perfect, you need to make it.
Even our pickiest eaters love this recipe, whether it is in the slow cooker or baked in the oven like our original Cowboy Casserole, it is always a hit! So if it’s late in the day and not enough time to make this recipe in the slow cooker try out the original recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need For This Slow Cooker Tater Tot Cowboy Casserole:
- Lean ground beef (or turkey will work too!)
- Diced onion
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Frozen tater tots
How To Make This Slow Cooker Tater Tot Cowboy Casserole:
To make this delicious slow cooker meal, get out your slow cooker and spray it down with nonstick cooking spray.
Then in a large skillet cook up the ground beef and diced onion over medium heat until the beef is fully cooked.
Using a colander, drain the grease from the meat and then return the meat back to the skillet.
Now, add in the frozen mixed vegetables, condensed mushroom soup, ½ cup of shredded cheese, milk, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir it all together until all the ingredients are completely combined together.
Once that is all set pour the beef mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker and then pour the frozen tater tots evenly over top.
After that is all set, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tater tots, place the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on for 6 hours on low heat.
When the timer is done, take the lid off and let the casserole sit for 15 minutes uncovered, and then serve it warm with your favorite sides.
Make sure to turn the slow cooker off so it does not burn the bottom of the casserole.
Try our baked Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe!
To Make This Slow Cooker Casserole You Will Need:
- Slow cooker
- Large skillet
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Colander (THIS is a great one!)
Sour Cream But Make It Healthy!
We definitely love a good sour cream base casserole, but sometimes it’s nice to make things a little lighter sometimes. One of the nice things about sour cream does have options for substitutions in this recipe.
If you want to know ways to replace the sour cream in this recipe, take a look at the Pioneer Woman’s 10 best sour cream substitutes.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Save These Slow Cooker Recipes to Make Later!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ham and Pineapple Sandwiches Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Sirloin Tips and Gravy Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Recipe
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Cowboy Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 onion diced
- 12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables 1 bag
- 10.75 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 20 ounces frozen tater tots 1 bag
- Spray bottom of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain grease, then stir in frozen mixed vegetables, soup, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, sour cream, and seasonings.
- Place meat and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with frozen tater tots and shredded cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low heat for 6 hours. Let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes before serving.
- Slow Cooker
- Large Skillet
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
This recipe was included in our Dump and Go Slow Cooker Recipes video! For more delicious and easy slow cooker recipes like this one, check it out!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.