Slow cooker recipes are a favorite in our house during winter, and this slow cooker chunky roast stew is on the top of the menu! This is even better than your old fashioned beef stew recipe because of using a full roast for this stew.
If you are looking for a good slow cooker beef stew recipe, look no further. This is an easy recipe that you can braise the meat, and throw it all into the slow cooker.
I promise that just like my family, this will become a favorite family recipe that you will want to make over and over this winter. It is truly one of my favorite beef flow cooker recipe.
For more of my favorite sides to serve with this slow cooker recipe, take a look at how to make green beans in the Instant Pot, easy homemade rolls, and an Italian fresh green salad all go wonderfully with this beef stew recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Slow Cooker Chunky Roast Stew:
- Beef chuck roast
- Dried thyme
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Low sodium beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Baby portabella mushrooms
- Red bell pepper
- Celery stalks
- Fresh parsley
How To Make Our Slow Cooker Chunky Roast Stew:
Start by trimming the fat from the chuck roast and then cut it into 1 ½ inch pieces or if you want to make it even easier, you can have the butcher cut it into the pieces for you.
Then in a gallon-sized bag put the flour, thyme, and pepper, zip it up, and shake it to combine it all together.
Once the flour mixture is done, add in the meat and shake it together to coat the meat in the seasoned flour.
Now, in a medium skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of oil over high heat.
After the oil is hot, add in the seasoned meat and cook it for about 4-5 minutes to sear the outside, or until the edges of the meat are brown.
PRO TIP: By searing the outside of the meat before you cook it in the stew it allows the meat to retain the wonderful juicy flavor.
Then transfer the meat into the slow cooker.
Once the meat is in the slow cooker add in the sliced onion, minced garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes (undrained), diced mushrooms, diced potatoes, diced bell peppers, sliced carrots, diced celery, and salt.
Then just put the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on low heat and let it cook for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
When you are ready to eat, serve it in a bowl hot and top it off with some freshly chopped parsley.
To Make This Beef Slow Cooker Recipe You Will Need:
- Slow cooker (THIS one works wonderfully!)
- Large ziplock bag
- Medium skillet
- Cutting board
What Do You Do When You Don’t Have Tomato Paste
Tomato paste is one of those things that you normally have one of in the pantry somewhere or pick one up at the store just to have it on hand.
But I can’t even count how many times I’ve assumed I’ve had a can of tomato paste and can’t seem to find it. So I often have to substitute it with something else. The Food Network gives you great ways to substitute for tomato paste with ingredients you already have.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Be Sure to Save These Other Delicious Beef Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beef Sirloin Tips and Gravy Recipe
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beijing Beef Recipe
- Slow Cooker Pineapple BBQ Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
Slow Cooker Chunky Roast Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes not drained
- 3 potatoes diced
- 16 ounces baby portabella mushrooms diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons fresh parsley optional topping
- Trim the fat from the meat and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (You could also have the butcher cut it for you.)
- In a gallon sized plastic bag, combine flour, thyme, and pepper. Add your meat to the bag, zip it closed and shake it to coat.
- In a skillet, heat 4 Tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add your meat and cook sear edges for about 4-5 minutes or until the outside edges of the meat are brown. Transfer it to your Slow Cooker.
- Add in the onion, garlic, beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, diced potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top when ready to serve.
- I often have to substitute it with something else. The Food Network gives you great ways to substitute for tomato paste with ingredients you already have.
- Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.