Anyone else love a meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes? If I can make dinner in less than one episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, my day is MADE.
I had a creamy gnocchi dish when we were on vacation last month, and I knew I had to recreate it at home. This Creamy Gnocchi Pesto has just a few ingredients, but it tastes like it came straight from a restaurant.
Topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, this is one dish my entire family devoured – from my husband (who ended up having thirds), down to my two-year-olds (who actually ate dinner – WIN!).
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is a tasty dumpling that is usually made of potatoes, flour, and eggs. No matter how you cook them, these pillowy bites of goodness are very filling, and typically inexpensive.
Perfectly cooked gnocchi shouldn’t be tough or chewy, but soft and fluffy. When cooking your gnocchi, you’ll know they’re done as soon as they float to the surface.
Don’t let them overcook, or they will become mushy and fall apart.
How to make creamy pesto sauce:
The best part of this dish is the creamy sauce. It may seem difficult, but it’s actually really easy to make.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until it becomes clear.
- Stir in garlic and butter until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Whisk in flour and cream, then season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Stir in cheese and pesto. Keep stirring (about 4 minutes) until completely combined. If it seems to be slightly oily, just keep stirring until it’s combined (it will eventually come together).
Toss that sauce together with the gnocchi, and you have a hearty, weeknight meal.
We think this is a hearty meal as-is, but feel free to make it your own with these yummy add-ins.
- Grilled chicken
- Sautéed shrimp
- Cherry Tomatoes
What to serve with Creamy Pesto Gnocchi:
- Parmesan Lemon Asparagus
- Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Broccoli
- Italian Fresh Green Salad
- Italian Roasted Vegetable Medley
Need some more delicious dinner ideas?
Check out our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking! We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!