Creamy chicken and rice casserole skillet recipe is the best comfort you can make in the form of a casserole. Probably even the best one pot recipe you’ll come across on Pinterest. 😉
This is a favorite family dinner recipe that everyone loves. My kids love all the chicken, cheese, and rice. And I love that they are getting their vegetables at the same time.
For this chicken and rice recipe, you can make everything in just one skillet, which saves you a lot of dishes you would have had to do later.
While you could serve this all by itself, you can always add more! We like to serve this with either our Easy Homemade Rolls, Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls, or my favorite Apple Cranberry Walnut Green Chopped Salad Recipe.
Ingredients Needed For Our Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole Skillet Recipe:
- Unsalted butter
- Diced onion
- Dried thyme
- Long-grain white rice
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Ground pepper
- Shredded chicken
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How To Make Our Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole Skillet Recipe:
In the bottom of a large skillet pan, melt your unsalted butter over medium heat.
Then, add in the diced onion, dried thyme, and a ½ teaspoon of salt.
Stir everything together and then continue stirring occasionally until the onion begins to get tender. This should take about 6 minutes or so.
Then, add in the uncooked rice and minced garlic. Let it cook for about 1 minute while continuing to stir occasionally.
Next, add in the chicken broth, milk, and the remaining salt, then stir it all together.
Now add in salt and pepper to your liking.
Bring everything in the skillet to a boil, stirring everything to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
After the ingredients begin to boil, add in the shredded chicken and then let it all boil again.
Once it has reached a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the skillet with a lid and let everything simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. This will take about 15-18 minutes or so.
NOTE: Simmering without the lid will make the rice take a lot longer to cook since it will not be steamed at the same time.
After the liquid is absorbed, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the frozen vegetables and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
You can also add more salt and pepper in this step if you think it needs it.
Now, top the casserole with the remaining cheese and place the lid back on to let the cheese melt and the rice continue to cook. This should take about 5 minutes.
Then, just serve it up and enjoy!
To Make This One Pot Recipe You Will Need:
- Cutting board
- Large skillet with lid (THIS is a great one!)
Fresh Dried Thyme Hack
Have you ever brought fresh thyme at the store because one of your recipes called for it? Well, I never use the whole thing and then it just goes to waste.
That is until I found this hack from The Frugal Girls on how to dry thyme leaves in 2 minutes! So, next time you get fresh thyme, try this out and you’ll stop wasting that delicious fresh spice too.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
- 30 Minutes or Less
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Pantry Essentials
- Slow Cooker
- Freezer Meals
- One Pan, One Pot Casseroles
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
DINNER MADE EASY with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Enjoy These Chicken and Rice Recipes Too!
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken and Rice Bowls
- Instant Pot EASY Sesame Chicken and Rice
- Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole Skillet Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1½ cups long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1¾ cup milk
- ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken (about 1 pound before cooked)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In the bottom of a large skillet pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft (about 6 minutes).
- Add in the rice and garlic and cook for 1 minute (stirring occasionally). Add in the broth, milk, and remaining salt. Add pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to keep the rice from sticking to the pot.
- Add in the cooked chicken, stir to mix it all together, and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover skillet with a lid, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender* (about 15-18 minutes).
- Remove skillet pan from heat. Stir in the frozen mixed vegetables and 1 cup of cheese.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with the remaining cheese and place the lid on top of the skillet and let the cheese melt and the rice continue to steam (about 5 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t cover the skillet while it simmers, it will take the rice much longer to cook.
- Cutting Board
- Large Skillet
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.