This chicken and rice casserole is an easy dinner for a busy night. And we have been trying to eat a little healthier. This doesn’t have any creamed soups or loads of butter added. A no-guilt dinner.
This Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole is one of those great recipes that you could eat every week. Super easy to make and bursting with Tex Mex flavors. Topped with a layer of cheese. YUM.
We were so surprised when our kids devoured this chicken and rice casserole. I think we might make a double batch next time. It has just the right amount of kick. The kids still like it.
can you use other flavors of rice in this recipe?
We love the chicken and rice vermicelli mix with this recipe. But you could easily swap for other flavors of rice.
If you are looking for an even healthier option, you could add in cooked brown rice. You may want to add in some extra seasonings of your choice if it tastes a little bland.
Some other boxed rice flavors that might be delicious are a cheddar cheese flavor of any kind, chicken and garlic, or a long grain and wild rice. The options are endless.
chicken breast or precooked chicken?
We like to buy frozen chicken breasts in the 4 pound bag and use them in a lot of recipes. It’s a better price when buying it in larger amounts. Then we thaw and cook the chicken breasts as needed in so many recipes.
If you are short on time, a rotisserie chicken is great in this recipe. Just pull the chicken off the bones and dice into bite sized pieces.
You can also use frozen chicken already cooked and seasoned. That would also be tasty in this Low fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Looking for more Tex Mex recipes? Try our Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken Soup!
how to make Low Fat tex-mex chicken and rice casserole
- This recipe is so easy and we love that it is made up of ingredients that we usually have on hand in our pantry. No running to the store for ingredients you may never need again.
- In a sauce pan cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in rice package with seasoning packet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. (liquid will not be fully absorbed)
5. Transfer the rice mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chiles, chili powder, basil, cumin, and pepper.
6. After it is all mixed together, transfer the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
7. Baked covered at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and cover with shredded cheese. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Then serve.
- Enjoy every delicious bite.
helpful items for this recipe:
- 8 x 8 inch baking dish – a favorite dish that comes with a nice lid for transporting or storing leftovers.
- Knives – these are a nice set of knives for chopping. They come in fun colors. Great for gift giving too.
- Skillet – a great non stick skillet that cleans up so easily.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
here are more healthy chicken recipes:
You will love these chicken recipes to prepare for your family.
- Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Tostadas
- Healthy Honey Baked Chicken
- Chicken Lime Lettuce Wraps
- Skinny Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6.9 ounces chicken flavored rice and vermicelli mix 1 package
- 14 ounces chicken broth 1 can
- 2 cups water
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 2 tomatoes chopped and seeded
- 4 ounces mild diced green chilis 1 can, drained
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning package); cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomato, chiles, chili powder, basil, cumin and pepper.
- Transfer to a 8 x 8 inch casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, at 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
- Let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 8x8-inch baking pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Skillet
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Have you seen our YouTube channel?