I love our chicken pasta casserole with corn and zucchini recipe. It is so good and a fun zucchini recipe that you might not have even thought about.
My garden is always booming with zucchini this time of year and I am always looking for good recipes to use it in. Sometimes you just need a different way to use zucchini that isn’t bread or oven roasted and this chicken pasta zucchini casserole is perfect.
You don’t need to do a bunch of prep work for our chicken pasta casserole so it makes this dish nice to make when you are low on energy or time. Not to mention that it is super delicious too, and makes for great leftovers!
If you need more ideas on how to use up all of that delicious fresh zucchini from your garden, take a look at our air fryer crispy zucchini bites recipe, zucchini pizza casserole recipe, and of course our chicken zucchini casserole recipe for a few tasty suggestions and our favorite ways to use up zucchini. Let us know your favorite way to use zucchini too!
Want even more recipe ideas that use already made chicken ?! Try these 45 Cold Chicken Recipes (Best Leftover Chicken Ideas)!
Ingredients You Need to For Our Chicken Pasta Casserole with Corn and Zucchini Recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Garlic salt
- Fresh thyme
- Penne pasta
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Frozen corn
- Fresh baby spinach
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
How To Make Our Chicken Pasta Casserole with Corn and Zucchini Recipe:
To make this tasty casserole, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees, also be sure that your chicken has been cooked and shredded, or use a rotisserie chicken!
Then grease a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside for later.
When you are done preparing the dish, bring a pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to the packaging.
Now, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
When the butter is completely melted, add in the flour and mix it together and let it cook for about 1 minute.
Continue to create the casserole sauce by adding in the chicken broth, milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt, fresh thyme, and then mixing it all together.
Let it come to a boil and turn it down and let it simmer while stirring it constantly to make sure the sauce is without lumps, and smooth.
After the sauce is smooth, let it continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes while stirring it occasionally until the sauce has thickened up and remove it from the heat.
When the noodles are done cooking, strain them and pour the noodles into the sauce along with ½ cup of mozzarella, the cooked chicken, diced zucchini, frozen corn, and spinach that has been chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces.
Mix everything together and then transfer it to the prepared 9×13 inch pan and spread it out evenly.
After the chicken mixture is spread out in the dish, top it off with the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese as evenly as you can.
Then place it in the oven uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until it has heated all the way through.
Now just remove the dish and serve it with your favorite sides.
To Make This Zucchini Recipe You Will Need:
- Large skillet
- 9×13 inch pan (THIS is a nice one that is also nonstick!)
- Nonstick cooking spray
Fresh Thyme or Dried
For this recipe we do tend to use fresh thyme as it works wonderfully, however if you do not have any, you can substitute it with ½ teaspoon of dried thyme instead. But, if you can get the fresh thyme I feel like it gives it even more flavor!
If you are worried about wasting the rest of your fresh thyme before you can use it in another recipe, have you ever tried freezing or drying your herbs?
Well, Gardener’s Suppy Company gives you great instructions on how to freeze or dry your herbs depending on how you want to use them or which herb you are working with!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
- 30 Minutes or Less
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Pantry Essentials
- Slow Cooker
- Freezer Meals
- One Pan, One Pot
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
DINNER MADE EASY with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Serve this Chicken and Zucchini Recipe with Our Favorite Sides:
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls Copycat Recipe
- Honey Dijon Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Creamy Yogurt Fresh Fruit Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Honey Glazed Carrots Recipe
- Oven Roasted Green Beans Recipe
Chicken Pasta Casserole with Corn and Zucchini Recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (minced) (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 8 ounces penne pasta (cooked and drained)
- 1½ cups shredded Mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded, rotisserie chicken will work great)
- 1 zucchini (diced into small pieces)
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth, milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly – making sure that you get all the lumps out and the sauce is smooth. Let cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from skillet from heat and stir in cooked pasta, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, cooked chicken, zucchini, corn, and spinach torn into bite sized pieces.
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through (about 20-25 minutes).
- Large Skillet
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.