Mom’s potato salad recipe is the very best classic potato salad recipe I’ve ever had. It is the perfect family barbecue side dish recipe, that I know everyone will eat up. I never have leftovers when I bring it to a cookout. It’s truly great for any type of family gathering, including summer picnics every single time.
It is truly a Six Sisters favorite family recipe. Each of us love to make this perfect potato salad. It is the perfect take on the traditional potato salad.
This homemade potato salad is a little tangy with the pickles and mustard in the recipe, so be prepared for the little kick of flavor. It’s not too much flavor though – it’s just the right amount for this classic flavor recipe. You can use either dill or sweet pickles in this recipe, I’ve had both and it turns out either way.
Classic Ingredients Needed For Our Mom’s Easy Potato Salad:
- Potatoes (Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes will work)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Dill or sweet pickles
- Celery stalks
- Mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
- Yellow mustard
- White vinegar
- Salad surprise seasoning (optional)
How To Make Our Mom’s Easy Potato Salad:
For this recipe you will need to boil two pots of water.
For the first pot, you will place potatoes in and boil them for about 30 minutes or until a fork can easily pierce the potato with little force. (Fork tender)
NOTE: However be careful not to have them too soft or they will not hold up in the salad well.
When the potatoes are done cooking, drain the water from the potatoes and place them in the fridge to help them cool down. After they are cooled, peel and cube the potatoes.
In the second pot of water you will need to boil your eggs.
Once the water is boiling, let it boil for about 10 minutes. Then turn the heat off and drain the water and place the eggs in an ice bath for 10 minutes.
After the eggs have cooled down, peel and dice the eggs.
Once the potatoes and eggs are done, grab a large mixing bowl and place the potatoes, diced celery, pickles, and eggs in the bowl and gently mix it all together.
PRO TIP:If you want you can leave an egg out to slice and put on the top for presentation. Or you can just add it all into the salad since the egg on top is not necessary, but rather for presentation purposes.
Now, in a small mixing bowl add the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and white vinegar.
Mix everything together until it is well combined.
Then, pour the mayo mixture over top of the potatoes and eggs mixture, stirring everything together until they are well combined.
Once that is done, simply add in some salt and pepper to your liking.
When everything is mixed together and the salad is too dry, add a little more mayonnaise until you get the texture that you like.
Then, just sprinkle a little bit of the salad supreme seasoning on top and slice up the extra egg (if you left one out) and place that on top as well.
Now pop it in the fridge and let it cool until you are ready to serve it.
To Make This Tradition Potato Salad Recipe You Will Need:
- Large pot (2)
- Large mixing bowl (THIS is a great set of bowl with lids)
- Small mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
What Type of Potatoes to Use:
In this recipe, we normally use russet potatoes, but that is not the only kind you can use. In fact, you can use almost any kind of potato. The only potatoes we say to stay clear of for sure is the sweet potato.
Other than that, use what you have at home. Our favorites to use are the russet or red potatoes for this recipe.
Make Eggs Even Easier:
If you want to avoid trying to boil two things at the same time, you can always try a new way to make your hard boiled eggs.
Have you ever tried making hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot? I know it sounds strange but, you can! Try out A Mindful Mom’s Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs recipe instead of using the stovetop.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
More Scrumptious Potato Recipes to Try:
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- Roasted Parmesan Potatoes Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Mom’s Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- Red Potato Salad
Mom’s Easy Potato Salad Recipe
- 8 potatoes cooked
- 8 eggs hard boiled
- ¾ cup dill or sweet pickles diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise (you could also use Miracle Whip)
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Salad Supreme Seasoning optional to sprinkle on top
- Bring two pots of water to a boil. In one pot boil your potatoes for about 30-40 minutes, or until fork can easily pierce through the potato, but not too soft that they just fall apart. Drain water off of potatoes and let them cool (I usually put the potatoes in the fridge to cool).
- Once your potatoes are cool, peel and dice. Place diced potatoes, diced celery, and pickles in a large bowl. Dice the eggs and add it to the bowl (sometimes I will set aside 1 egg and slice it to put on top of the potato salad for presentation – totally not necessary, it's just what my mom always did).
- In a separate small bowl, mix your mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar all together. Pour your sauce over the potato mixture in the big bowl and gently fold together. Add salt and pepper to taste. If it is dry, you can add more mayo to get it the texture you like. Top with Salad Supreme seasoning. As mentioned before, you can also save 1 hard boiled egg to slice and add it to the top.
You can make this potato salad with sweet or dill pickles. Both ways taste delicious!
- Pot (2)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
This post was included in our 10 of the EASIEST side dishes for dinner video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.