In our family, we absolutely LOVE enchiladas (we have over 20 different enchilada recipes on our site!). When you combine chicken and avocado together inside an enchilada, it is a match made in heaven.
What kind of tortillas to use
When it comes to making the perfect enchilada, what kind of tortilla you use is a personal preference.
Traditionally, corn tortillas are used in enchiladas, but flour tortillas will work just as well.
We recommend using a 7-8″ tortilla for enchiladas because they seem to work best in a pan (we usually make about 8 enchiladas so that it fills an entire 9×13″ pan).
If you do use a corn tortilla, it helps to place them in the microwave for a few seconds before trying to roll them into enchiladas so that they are more pliable and won’t rip as easily.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
We are all about taking shortcuts, but in these enchiladas you just can’t quite beat the flavor of the homemade sauce. It’s worth the few extra minutes, we promise!
The homemade sauce with a simple roux – equal parts flour and butter. The butter has the flavor of garlic added in, which makes for an amazing aroma.
Next we add in some chicken stock (chicken broth will work just fine if you don’t have any stock on hand). Stir in the seasonings and mix it all together.
Stir in the sour cream, salsa verde, and fresh cilantro after you remove the sauce from the heat (to keep the cream from curdling).
This sauce is super creamy with the sour cream, but if you’re looking for a lighter option, plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute.
If you want to keep with the homemade theme, you could use homemade tortillas for these chicken enchiladas too.
Usually enchiladas are a great meal that you can prep ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a day or two until you are ready to cook.
However, because avocados tend to go brown after being exposed to the air, it might not look very appetizing.
If you want to try and make these enchiladas ahead of time, prep all the enchiladas the day before and place covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
Try one of our other homemade enchilada recipes:
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Enchiladas
- Three Bean Enchiladas
- Hearty Ground Beef Enchiladas
Avocado Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (you could use vegetable stock)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa verde (depending on how hot you want it)
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
Ingredients for Enchiladas
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast chopped or shredded
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 avocados peeled and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium sauce pan, saute garlic in butter for about 1 minute on medium-high heat. Stir in flour let it cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Next stir in the chicken broth, cumin, salt, pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro until smooth (or at least as smooth as you can get.)
- Prepare a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. and spread out until bottom of the baking dish is evenly coated.
- Lay out a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll. Then place the rolled tortilla seam-side down and repeat until the pan is full.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with 1 cup of cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- This sauce is super creamy with the sour cream, but if you’re looking for a lighter option, plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute.
- Chicken broth will work just fine if you don’t have any stock on hand.
- If you want to try and make these enchiladas ahead of time, prep all the enchiladas the day before and place covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- medium sauce pan
- 9x13 Inch Baking Dish
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh Meals
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?