If you are looking for the best chicken enchilada recipe this avocado chicken enchiladas recipe is it! It is a very popular chicken dish in our house.
You can make this dish up ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you are ready, or do it all at once. It is a very easy dish to prepare so make sure you save it to make in your next round of meal planning.
I can’t even describe the deliciousness of the combination of the creamy avocado sauce that is made and paired with the shredded chicken. It will make your tastebuds soar. Then add in the Mexican cheese and you will find yourself enjoying this dish often.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Avocado Chicken Enchiladas Recipe:
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken stock
- Fresh ground pepper
- Mild or medium salsa verde
- Fat free sour cream
- Chopped or shredded cooked chicken breast
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Flour tortillas
How To Make Our Avocado Chicken Enchiladas Recipe:
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.
Then in a medium-sized saucepan saute the garlic in the butter for about 1 minutes over medium-high heat.
Once the garlic is fragrant, add in the flour and let it cook for about 2 more minutes.
Next add in the chicken broth, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir it all together and bring it to a simmer.
After it has begun simmering, remove the chicken broth mixture from heat and add in the sour cream, salsa verde, and fresh cilantro and stir it all together until it is nice and smooth.
In a 9×13 inch pan prepare it by spraying it down with nonstick cooking spray.
Now add about ½ cup of the verde sauce to the bottom of the pan and spread it out evenly.
Take a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll it up.
Continue this with each tortilla and place them seam side down in the 9×13 inch pan.
Once all of the tortillas have been placed in the pan, pour the rest of the creamy verde sauce over top of the enchiladas and then cover it with 1 cup of Mexican shredded cheese.
Place the pan in the oven, uncovered and bake it for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
To Make This Popular Chicken Dish You Will Need:
- Medium-sized saucepan
- 9×13 inch pan (THIS one is perfect, especially for storing the leftovers)
- Nonstick cooking spray
Homemade Salsa Verde
Depending on how much time you have to make this delicious enchiladas recipe, you can always make your own salsa verde and it will only enhance the amazing flavors of this chicken dish.
If you choose to make your own salsa verde, take a look at Cookie and Kate’s homemade salsa verde recipe! It is fairly easy to make and make you only want to make homemade salsa verde from then on.
A Few Notes for Chicken Enchiladas
- If you don’t have chicken stock on hand you can either use chicken broth or vegetable stock on hand.
- While the sour cream makes the sauce super creamy, you can use plain greek yogurt instead!
- Make this up ahead of time and place it in the fridge until you are ready to make it up to a day ahead of time.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
If You Enjoy These Creamy Enchiladas, Be Sure to Make These Too!
- Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce Recipe
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Avocado Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (you could use vegetable stock)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa verde (depending on how hot you want it)
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
Ingredients for Enchiladas
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast chopped or shredded
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 avocados peeled and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium sauce pan, saute garlic in butter for about 1 minute on medium-high heat. Stir in flour let it cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Next stir in the chicken broth, cumin, salt, pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro until smooth (or at least as smooth as you can get.)
- Prepare a 9×13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. and spread out until bottom of the baking dish is evenly coated.
- Lay out a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll. Then place the rolled tortilla seam-side down and repeat until the pan is full.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with 1 cup of cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- This sauce is super creamy with the sour cream, but if you’re looking for a lighter option, plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute.
- Chicken broth will work just fine if you don’t have any stock on hand.
- If you want to try and make these enchiladas ahead of time, prep all the enchiladas the day before and place covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- medium sauce pan
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh Meals
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.