Most white chicken enchiladas that I have seen include a can of cream of chicken soup, which I still like, but when I came across this recipe that included a HOMEMADE green chili and sour cream sauce, I was sold (green chili’s are seriously one of my favorite foods- hence all the Mexican recipes!)!
Simple ingredients and easy-to-follow directions make this an easy weeknight meal. My family basically INHALED them. I dare say this is now our favorite enchilada recipe.
Ingredients needed for White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (divided)
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to make this White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan using non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix cooked chicken, chili powder (optional) and 1 cup of cheese together. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in sour cream, chilies, cilantro, onion powder, and garlic powder, and pepper. Make sure that you don’t bring this to a boil- you don’t want to have curdled sour cream!
- Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-22 minutes and then place under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.