Skillet chicken pot pie is a favorite recipe of mine. I am not sure if it is because I know I can get all the food groups I aim to have for dinner in one pan, or because it is just that tasty, but nonetheless it is the best chicken dinner in my book!
It also seems as though lately skillet recipes are becoming more popular, and for good reason! The flavor this dish receives from the skillet is amazing and gets better every time you make it.
This skillet chicken pot pie recipe is such an easy dinner recipe, you’ll find yourself making it often! I know that we do here, especially during the winter.
To go along with this easy skillet chicken pot pie recipe, you can always make our 30 Minute Homemade Rolls Recipe, Seven Layer Green Salad, and a delicious dessert like our Fluffy Cream Cheese Dessert!
Ingredients Needed For This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie:
- Celery stalks, diced
- Carrots, diced
- Onion, diced
- Red potatoes, diced
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Shredded chicken
- Fresh parsley, finely minced
- Puff pastry, thawed
How To Make This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie:
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Once the butter is melted, add in the diced celery, onion, and red potatoes and allow them to saute for about 8-10 minutes or until they begin to get tender.
When that is done, add the minced garlic, salt, and pepper in with the vegetables and stir it together.
Then, add in the flour and chicken broth, mixing it all together.
After that is mixed, add in the cream cheese and let it all cook together for 5 more minutes while stirring continually.
Once that is all done, fold in the chicken and peas to the creamy vegetable mixture.
When that is completed, pour the mixture into a 12 inch oven safe skillet.
Then, top it off with the puff pastry and use a sharp knife to trim off the excess dough that is hanging over the sides of the skillet.
Now, in a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg and use a pastry brush to brush the egg on top of the puff pastry dough.
After that is done, place the pot pie in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the top become a golden brown color.
Then simply remove the skillet chicken pot pie and serve it up!
Want even more recipe ideas that use already made chicken ?! Try these 45 Cold Chicken Recipes (Best Leftover Chicken Ideas)!
Kitchen items you’ll need for family dinner recipe:
- Large saucepan
- 12 inch oven safe skillet (THIS is a great one!)
- Sharp knife
- Small mixing bowl
MEAL PLANNING MADE EASY
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. Each recipe is tried and true, so we are confident you will love it.
Some of our best memories were made at the dinner table and that is something we wanted to help other families have time for.
Our simple weekly dinner meal plans take all the stress and guesswork out of
“What’s for dinner?” and turn it into a tradition of spending time with family.
Adjust your serving size to fit the needs of your family, and customize your plan with our library of 3000+ recipes. It’s time to start enjoying dinnertime!
Check out the Six Sisters’ Meal Plans on Prepear today!
Shred Chicken The Easy Way!
Making chicken and shredding it is honestly the hardest part of meals that require shredded chicken. We tend to by pass some of and just get a rotisserie chicken and then do the shredding ourselves.
Downshiftology wrote an article on how to make shredded chicken and it give you all the tips and tricks you need to make the best and easiest shredded chicken!
Can I Use Pie Crust?
Many of you might not have puff pastry laying around, but you probably have some premade pie crust in your fridge. You can use pie crust in place of the puff pastry, however, it does give a bit of a different texture and you will have to cook the dish an extra 10-15 minutes longer to make sure the dough is cooked through all the way.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
More Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipes To Try:
- Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- Sheet Pan Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Easy Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie and Biscuits
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 red potatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cup chicken cooked and shredded
- ½ cup peas
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely minced
- 1 sheet frozen pastry puff sheet thawed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. Saute for 8-10 minutes , or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in flour, chicken broth and cream cheese. Let cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Fold in chicken and peas.
- Pour mixture into a 12-inch oven safe skillet.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry and place on top of skillet. Use a sharp knife to cut off any excess dough hanging over the sides.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pot pie.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- You can use pie crust in place of the puff pastry, however, it does give a bit of a different texture and you will have to cook the dish an extra 10-15 minutes longer to make sure the dough is cooked through all the way.