Grilled chicken is a summer staple at our house, and this Marinated Mountain Dew Grilled Chicken is bound to be a family favorite.
How to Make grilled chicken
Grilling chicken breast doesn’t have to be difficult. Follow these steps for the best grilled chicken:
- Store your chicken separately from other food in the fridge. Keep your raw chicken on the bottom shelf of the fridge so it doesn’t drip onto other foods.
- Always thaw chicken in the refrigerator instead of leaving it out at room temperature. When you thaw chicken in the microwave, it begins cooking the meat immediately and can cause harmful bacteria to grow if it isn’t completely cooked all at once.
- Add flavor by marinating. If you are using a marinade as a basting or dipping sauce, set aside a portion for later before adding the raw meat to it.
You can also prepare grilled chicken by seasoning it. You can use a dry rub, like in we use on our Spicy Honey Glazed Grilled Chicken, or buy a pre-made rub at the store.
how long do you cook grilled chicken?
The best way to cook grilled chicken is to sear the chicken to a grill on high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side to sear the outside of the meat.
Next, move the chicken to indirect or lower heat and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can cut into the chicken and check if the meat is white, without a rubbery texture and the juices run clear.
How to grill chicken on a grill pan
If you don’t have a grill, you can grill your chicken indoors on a grill pan.
Grease your grill pan with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat.
Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
Place the grill pan in the oven and cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
can you freeze grilled chicken?
If you grilled too much chicken and won’t be able to eat it within a few days, it is best to freeze it.
Frozen chicken will lose some of their flavor and the texture will be slightly different, but you could easily shred the frozen chicken after it has thawed and use it in other recipes.
To freeze the grilled chicken, wrap chicken breasts tightly in plastic wrap then place in a single layer in a freezer bag.
Seal the bag while pressing out as much air as possible.
Place the bag in the freezer on the bottom or against the back, where the freezer is the coldest.
To thaw chicken, remove from the freezer and place in the refrigerator 24 hours before using.
how to make the best grilled chicken
- Start by making a simple marinade of Mountain Dew soda, Italian dressing, soy sauce and garlic powder.
- Add your chicken to the marinade and seal or cover with plastic wrap if you are using a bowl.
- Place marinating chicken in the fridge for 4-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and throw away the marinade.
- Place the chicken on a grill heated to medium-high heat and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables or salad for a light, healthy and delicious meal.
WEEKLY MENU PLANS
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!
The Best Grilled Chicken Recipes:
- Citrus Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Mom’s Secret 7-Up Marinated Chicken
- 5-Star Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Rosemary Ranch Grilled Chicken
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
If you love grilled chicken, be sure to try our Lemon Grilled Chicken. This juicy is so easy to make and tastes amazing!