This meal is so easy to make and you only dirty one pan. Our family loves this version of sloppy joes so much more than the original, but you’ll have to be the judge of that.
It’s quick, inexpensive, easy, and full of way more flavor than your average sloppy joe. It also has cheese on it, which was a huge selling point for me.
I even went as far to toast the buns, and it made all the difference with this recipe.
If you are in a dinner rut, this recipe is the perfect way out. It is so yummy and even my picky eaters gobbled it right up.
what cheese could I use instead of provolone?
My husband and I love provolone because it isn’t too strong, and adds the perfect amount of texture. If you don’t love provolone, you could easily replace it with another cheese.
Here are a few different cheeses that would taste amazing on this sandwich, that we would definitely recommend:
- Feta Cheese ( I love feta cheese and would put it on everything if I could. Maybe not the best for kids, but if you love Feta cheese, you will love it on this sandwich).
- Swiss Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese (not the most recommended for this sandwich, because the flavor pairs a little differently with the meat, but if it’s all you have on hand, it will still taste delicious. A marbled cheese like a Colby Jack wold also work great).
- Mozzarella Cheese
Really you could use any of your favorite cheese, but these are the ones we definitely recommend.
what could i use in place of the steak sauce?
This recipe calls for steak sauce. We usually just use A1, because we always have it on hand, and it tastes amazing in this recipe.
However if you don’t have steak sauce and don’t want to invest (it’s a very small, less than $3 investment), you can easily use something else you have on hand. Here is what we recommend:
Steak sauce is compiled of:
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- onion powder
- hot sauce
- garlic powder
You could easily make your own, or you could just use a few of these ingredients to fill in. I am not sure on the exact measurements of each, but a rough combination would make a delicious steak sauce or steak sauce substitute
(I would go easy on the Worcestershire sauce however. It is a little on the powerful side.)
HAVE YOU SEEN OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL?
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
looking for more sloppy joe recipes? here are a few of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
- Hawaiian Sloppy Joes
- Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
- BBQ Pork Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Casserole
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- to taste salt and pepper
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Preheat broiler to low. In large skillet over medium-high heat brown the ground beef about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes, until they start to get tender.
- Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper.Bring up to a low boil and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Open buns and place on a baking sheet.Place a slice of cheese on the top half of each bun and put pan in the broiler.Broil for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and buns are golden brown.
- Place a scoopful of the meat on the bottom half of the bun, drizzle with additional steak sauce and place cheesy bun on top.
check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!