Grilled chicken is a summer staple at our house, and this Grilled Lemon Chicken is bound to be a family favorite.
How to Make grilled chicken
Grilling chicken breast doesn’t have to be difficult. Follow these steps for the best grilled chicken:
- Store your chicken separately from other food in the fridge. Keep your raw chicken on the bottom shelf of the fridge so it doesn’t drip onto other foods.
- Always thaw chicken in the refrigerator instead of leaving it out at room temperature. When you thaw chicken in the microwave, it begins cooking the meat immediately and can cause harmful bacteria to grow if it isn’t completely cooked all at once.
- Add flavor by marinating. If you are using a marinade as a basting or dipping sauce, set aside a portion for later before adding the raw meat to it.
You can also prepare grilled chicken by seasoning it. You can use a dry rub, like in we use on our Spicy Honey Glazed Grilled Chicken, or buy a pre-made rub at the store.
Looking for more grilled chicken recipes? Try our Grilled Malibu Chicken
how long do you cook grilled chicken?
The best way to cook grilled chicken is to sear the chicken to a grill on high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side to sear the outside of the meat.
Next, move the chicken to indirect or lower heat and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can cut into the chicken and check if the meat is white, without a rubbery texture and the juices run clear.
How to grill chicken on a grill pan
If you don’t have a grill, you can grill your chicken indoors on a grill pan.
Grease your grill pan with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat.
Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
Place the grill pan in the oven and cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
can you freeze grilled chicken?
If you grilled too much chicken and won’t be able to eat it within a few days, it is best to freeze it.
Frozen chicken will lose some of their flavor and the texture will be slightly different, but you could easily shred the frozen chicken after it has thawed and use it in other recipes.
To freeze the grilled chicken, wrap chicken breasts tightly in plastic wrap then place in a single layer in a freezer bag.
Seal the bag while pressing out as much air as possible.
Place the bag in the freezer on the bottom or against the back, where the freezer is the coldest.
To thaw chicken, remove from the freezer and place in the refrigerator 24 hours before using.
how to make the best grilled chicken
This recipe makes the BEST Grilled Lemon Chicken I have ever tasted.
- Start by making a simple marinade of lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, minced garlic, ginger, onion powder and red pepper flakes. I mix all of my marinade ingredients together in a gallon-sized resealable bag for easy clean up.
- Add your chicken to the marinade and seal or cover with plastic wrap if you are using a bowl.
- Place marinating chicken in the fridge for 4-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and throw away the marinade.
- Place the chicken on a grill heated to medium-high heat and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables or salad for a light, healthy and delicious meal.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
OTHER TIPS FOR GRILLING CHICKEN
- Prepare your grill by cleaning off old residue then brushing on some vegetable or olive oil. You can also spray your grill with nonstick cooking spray before it is turned on and heated up.
- Start with the grill at high heat so you can sear the outside of the chicken. Searing the outside of the chicken will keep the inside juicy and make it easier to turn halfway through grilling.
- If your grill has a cover, always cook with the cover down to help your chicken cook more evenly.
- When it comes time to turn or remove your chicken from the grill, use a wide metal spatula or long handled tongs.
- Poking your chicken with a fork to check for doneness will cause the juices to escape. Try not to continuously move the chicken while it is cooking, just turn it over one time halfway through cooking.
our other favorite grilled chicken recipes:
- Grilled Taco Chicken
- Honey Lime Grilled Chicken
- Spicy Honey Glazed Chicken
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Glazed Grilled Chicken
If you love this recipe, you’ll love our Easy Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken! Watch how to make it below.