This frosted gooey lemon bars recipe is an all time favorite of mine. I’m not sure if it’s the lemon frosting or the perfectly gooey lemon bars, but it is an amazing lemon bars recipe.
You will make these gooey lemon bars with a cake mix, making it an easy recipe to complete and enjoy in no time! The lemon frosting that is on top is also super simple to make too, so if you are new to baking, this is a great recipe to use.
Be sure to bring the frosted lemon bars to your next BBQ and enjoy all the compliments you will get on them. You also might want to pin or save this recipe so you can either share it with those friends, or just come back next week and make it again. Hahaha.
For all of the lemon lovers, you need to make our other great lemon recipes like the best homemade lemon bars recipe you’ll ever have, lemon cookie bar cups, or our famous frozen lemon fluff dessert too. They are all filled with amazing lemony goodness.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Frosted Gooey Lemon Bars Recipe:
- Lemon cake mix
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Yellow food coloring
- Cream cheese
How To Make Our Frosted Gooey Lemon Bars Recipe:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Then in a medium size mixing bowl combine the lemon cake mix, slightly beaten egg, and butter and mix it all together.
Once that is done, get out your 9×13 inch baking pan and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
After the pan is greased, pour the cake mix layer into the bottom of the pan and press it down to create the gooey cake layer.
Now in a large mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar and butter.
Then pour in lemon juice and mix it together. Add enough lemon juice to create a thick like frosting consistency.
Next add in the softened cream cheese and yellow food coloring and continue to mix up the frosting until it is well combined.
When you have it all mixed together, take one cup of the frosting and set it aside for later. DO NOT skip this step.
Add eggs to the remaining frosting mixture and beat it all together until it is fluffy.
Once that is done, spread it on top of the cake mix layer and place it in the oven and let it bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is just starting to turn a light golden brown.
When it is done, remove the bars from the oven and let it cook down completely.
After the lemon bars have cooled, spread the reserved lemon frosting on top. Then just cut the bars and serve them up!
To Make This Easy Dessert Recipe You Will Need:
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Medium mixing bowl
- 9×13 inch pan (like THIS one)
- Nonstick cooking spray
If you need to try to make this recipe without the eggs out of personal preference or dietary restrictions there are so many different options out there now.
Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking has a list of 7 best egg substitutes for baking and how to use them. Take a look and see which one would work best for you!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
- 30 Minutes or Less
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Pantry Essentials
- Slow Cooker
- Freezer Meals
- One Pan, One Pot
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
DINNER MADE EASY with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
A Little Bit Sour, But Tons of Sweet With These Lemon Recipes:
- Layered Lemon Dessert
- No Bake Lemon Ice Box Cake
- Lemon Chex Mix Recipe
- Lemon Raspberry Bars
- Frozen Raspberry Lemonade Pie Recipe
- Frozen Lemon Fluff Dessert
Frosted Gooey Lemon Bars Recipe
- 15.25 ounces lemon cake mix
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- lemon juice
- 3-5 drops yellow food coloring
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cake layer in a mixing bowl. Press down in a 9×13-inch baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine powdered sugar and butter.
- Add enough lemon juice to form the consistency of a thick frosting.
- Beat in cream cheese and yellow food coloring until smooth.
- Set aside 1 cup of frosting to spread on top after baking (be sure to not skip this step!).
- Add eggs to remaining frosting mixture and beat until fluffy.
- Spread on top of cake mix in the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until barely golden brown.
- Let cool completely and then spread reserved frosting mixture on top and serve.
- You don’t want it to get too brown or they are dry. Cook on the low end of the cooking time and keep checking til light golden.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.