I know get-togethers are about the people, but it’s also secretly about the food, and Grandma’s holiday cheese ball recipe is a popular Christmas appetizer in our family! When the appetizers come out I look for this first, and then of course the loaded deviled eggs.
The nice thing about this easy cheese ball recipe is that you can make it up in advance while you worry about everything else last minute. In fact it is best when you let it sit for at least an hour before, so it helps you get a jump start on the meal prep!
I actually like volunteering to bring a cheese ball to events. Not only is it an easy thing to bring that everyone will enjoy, it also ensures the best cheese ball recipe will be there. 😉 Can’t leave that to chance!
Here are a few things to consider before making this classic cheese ball recipe:
- The ingredients are flexible. You can use green onions, garlic powder, sharp cheddar cheese, blue cheese, onion powder, bacon bits, white cheddar cheese, garlic salt, or other savory flavors.
- You can serve it with pita chips, Ritz crackers, buttery crackers, on a charcuterie board, with black olives, or with any other type of food you like.
- Store it in an airtight container to eat this perfect appetizer for days! There’s nothing better than a homemade cheese ball even after the holiday is over.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Grandma’s Holiday Cheese Ball Recipe:
- Cream cheese
- Chopped pimento
- Green pepper
- Minced onion
- Worcestershire sauce
- Lemon juice
- Chopped walnuts
This recipe is part of our 55 of the Best Appetizers for Christmas Potluck (Favorite Party Foods)
How To Make Our Grandma’s Holiday Cheese Ball Recipe:
To make this delicious cheese ball recipe start by combining the cream cheese and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften them up.
Then mix them together until they are well combined with a hand mixer.
Now, add in the chopped pimento, diced green pepper, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, and the lemon juice.
Mix everything together until they are all combined by folding it all into the cream cheese and butter mixture.
Once that is all mixed together, place the bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes and let the mixture set up a bit.
After the cream cheese mixture has been allowed to chill for a bit, take the bowl out of the fridge.
Do your best to roll the cheese mixture into a ball, and then roll that ball in bowl of chopped walnuts.
Now that the cheese ball has been covered, place the ball on a plate and cover it with plastic wrap or press n seal and place it in the fridge.
When you are ready to serve the cheese ball remove it from the fridge and serve it with crackers or fresh vegetables.
To Make The Best Cheese Ball Recipe You Will Need:
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Hand mixer (THIS is my favorite one!)
- Plastic wrap
The Cleanest Way to Roll a Cheese Ball
Rolling a cheese ball can be a dirty job! You can always shape the ball in your hands and it will work out, but you will come away fairly messy.
Next time you make a cheese ball and are ready to shape the cheese ball, pull out a piece of plastic wrap, lightly spray it with nonstick cooking spray, and then scoop the cheese mixture onto the plastic wrap.
Now pick up the plastic wrap from underneath and begin forming the ball. Once you have the shap you want, place it in the bowl with the chopped walnuts and you are good to go!
What To Serve With a Cheese Ball
Well you’ve made the best cheese ball recipe, but now what do you serve with it?! We normally pair it with some of our favorite crackers and vegetables, but you can do so much more with a cheese ball.
Kitchn has a great list of 7 foods to serve with a cheese ball that you might consider serving with yours!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Appetizer Recipes You Need to Make This Holiday Season!
- Cranberry Bacon Jam Crostini Recipe
- Cowboy Dip Recipe
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
- Fruity Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip Recipe
- Baked Zucchini Bites Recipe
Grandma’s Holiday Cheese Ball Recipe
- 16 ounces (2 Pkgs) cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chopped pimento
- 1 Tablespoons minced green pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a bowl; microwave for about 30 seconds to soften. Mix together until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and gently fold in.
- Place bowl in the fridge and let set up for about 30 minutes.
- Roll into a ball and roll ball in chopped walnuts.
- Serve with crackers or fresh vegetables.
- We normally pair this recipe with some of our favorite crackers and vegetables, but you can do so much more with a cheese ball.
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Hand mixer
- Plastic Wrap
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.