I love a good comfort food recipe, and creamy sausage and tomato pasta is just that. It is a great budget-friendly dinner recipe that you can make to feed the whole family without breaking the bank and be ready in no time!
If you are looking for a tasty and easy family dinner, make sure you add this recipe to your list. Any time I make this for my family I am lucky to have leftovers for the next day.
Knowing that I’ll be able to make a meal and I do not have to bribe anyone to eat just two more bites, makes this meal pop up on the meal rotation often. And of course, the fact that this recipe can be tossed together super quickly is also a plus!
This creamy pasta goes wonderfully with some of our green beans with candied pecans, strawberry spinach salad with homemade poppyseed dressing. And of course you cannot forget dessert, so make sure to make some blueberry fluff salad too, it has blueberry so it’s healthy right? 😉
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Creamy Sausage and Tomato Pasta:
- Penne pasta
- Turkey Italian sausage
- Medium sized onion
- Cloves of garlic
- Italian-style diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Half and half
- Dried basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil (optional as a garnish)
How To Make Our Creamy Sausage and Tomato Pasta:
Begin by cooking the penne pasta in salted water until it reaches the point of being Al Dente. Be sure to follow the package instructions to make sure to have the correct cook time.
Then while the pasta is cooking, brown the sausage in a large skillet and then drain the grease from the meat using a colander.
Return the meat to the pan and add in the diced onions and minced garlic, and then continue to saute it together over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
Once the onions are tender, add in the can of diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce.
Heat it all until the sauce has been heated through.
Now, add in the half and half, and again continue to heat until the cream sauce is heated all the way through.
Let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes. While the sauce cooks it will continue to thicken up. So, keep simmering until you get the consistency you like.
Now it is time to add in the basil and give the sauce a good stir and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
Then just add the penne pasta into the sausage sauce, and mix it up to cover the pasta in all of the sauce.
When you are ready to serve, top each plate with some parmesan and fresh basil and enjoy!
To Make This Budget-Friendly Dinner Recipe You Will Need:
- Large skillet
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon (THIS is a nice one!)
How to Mince Garlic
I won’t lie, sometimes when a recipe calls for minced garlic I just pull out my jar from the fridge and take out a good scoop. But, there are some days when I like to use fresh garlic cloves, but I find peeling and cutting garlic cloves to be the hardest part.
If you do too, check out the Food Networks step-by-step instructions on how to mince garlic! I always find visuals helpful, and the Food Network provides that for you.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
You Can Never Go Wrong With a Good Pasta Dish! So Make Sure You Check These Out:
- 20 Minute Tuscan Pasta (Freezer Meal) Recipe
- Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe
- Instant Pot Cheesy Penne Pasta Recipe
- Southwest Chicken Pasta Salad Recipe
- Slow Cooker Alfredo Pesto Chicken and Pasta Recipe
- Creamy Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
30 Minute Creamy Sausage and Tomato Pasta Recipe
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound Turkey Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- fresh chopped basil optional garnish
- Cook the pasta in salted water Al Dente, according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, brown the sausage and drain grease.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the entire can of diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce and heat through.
- Pour in the half-and-half and heat through. The longer you cook the sauce the thicker it will get so simmer it until it is the consistency you want.
- Add the basil and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Finally, mix the sausage sauce with the pasta.
- Top each serving with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh basil (if desired).
- Large Skillet
- large pot
- Slotted Spoon
Recipe source: The Girl Who Ate Everything
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.