This Cornbread Taco Bake is one of the few recipes I make that no one in my family complains about!
I love the simplicity of a casserole and my family loves the flavor of tacos, so this recipe is definitely a winner in our book.
After bookmarking pretty much every recipe in the book, I decided to start with this Cornbread Taco Bake and I’m so glad I did. My family loves taco casserole and this was a fun twist on one of our favorites.
If you are like me, you don’t have a lot of time to spend when it comes to making dinner. I love using rotisserie chicken as a shortcut rather than cooking chicken myself.
My deli even has shredded rotisserie chicken which is a total lifesaver on busy nights.
The filling of this easy taco casserole is so delicious and is made using canned goods you probably already have in your pantry, along with the rotisserie chicken, then topped with a tasty cornbread topping.
How to make Cornbread Taco Bake:
This Cornbread Taco Bake is a simple casserole that can be made from start to finish in 30 minutes.
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F then spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add shredded or diced rotisserie chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans and tomato sauce to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions and stir half of the French fried onions into the batter.
Pour the chicken mixture into your prepared pan and spread the cornbread mixture on top.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown. Top the casserole with the remaining onions and cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Remove the casserole from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Other delicious casserole recipes:
- Pesto Chicken Casserole
- Cowboy Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- Beef and Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole
Cornbread Taco Bake Casserole Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 can sweet corn drained, 15 ounce can
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed, 15 ounce can
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounce
- 1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix 8.5 ounce
- 1 egg (as per muffin mix)
- 1/3 cup milk (as per muffin mix)
- 4 ounces French fried onions (divided)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet pan over medium-high heat and saute bell peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans and tomato sauce to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package instructions and stir half of the French fried onions into the batter.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared dish and spread the cornbread batter on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cornbread topping is golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the remaining onions and shredded cheese.
- Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving.