I have to be honest, there are a lot of recipe fails at my house. Most of them happen when I try to invent my own recipe, my poor husband dreads those “experimental meals”.
But every once in a while, something wonderful comes of it and these little taquitos fall into that wonderful category!
How to get crispy taquitos in the oven
Taquitos in the oven? You may be a little skeptical! But these oven baked taquitos are a healthy non-fried alternative to your favorite dish.
The trick to getting these taquitos perfectly crispy is to spray them with cooking spray right before they go in the oven. The oil caramelizes giving these a crispy crunch with every bite.
Related Article: Trying to feed picky kids (or a picky spouse?!) We’ve got you covered! Check out these 20 Dinner Recipes for Picky Eaters!
How to make baked taquitos into a freezer meal
The best thing about this recipe is that it makes about 20 taquitos! Now we definitely know first hand, that 20 of these can be eaten in one sitting, but that may not be the case for your family.
If you’re making these for just a few people, or if you’re looking to get dinner done ahead of time, you can easily turn this recipe into a freezer meal.
To do so, prepare the recipe as directed. After rolling the taquitos, place them in a gallon sized freezer bag. You should be able to fit 12-15 in each bag.
Keeping the bag full will keep the taquitos rolled up.
When ready to bake, remove taquitos from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge for 12 hours.
Place taquitos seam-side down on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the taquitos with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops begin to golden. Let them cool slightly and serve with ranch or salsa.
Tips when making Baked Chicken Taquitos
These have been a family favorite for a few years. We’ve learned a lot of quick shortcuts and tips to make this simple meal even easier.
- Using a rotisserie chicken is one of our favorite shortcuts in any recipe calling for chicken. Most delis sell pre-pulled rotisserie chicken, but buying a chicken and pulling it off the bone yourself is easy, too.
- While we’re on a roll using items from the grocery store that are already prepared, grab some pre-cooked bacon for this recipe. Save your house from smelling like bacon for a few days, and your stove from grease splashing.
- Make sure to put your taquitos seam side down when placing them on the baking sheet. This will keep them from falling apart after they are baked.
What you’ll need to make homemade baked taquitos
- Oven Mitts – These ones are our favorite, and on sale!
- Baking Sheet – This baking sheet is large enough to fit ALL the taquitos in this recipe.
- Freezer Bags – If you’re wanting to make this into a freezer meal, you’ll need the freezer bags!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more Baked Taquitos? Here are a few of our favorites!
DO YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Do you love tasty food? If so, then I hope you are subscribed to our YouTube channel! Our recipes are perfect for your picky eaters. Plus you get to see each recipe made from beginning to end.