As we head into grilling season, there’s nothing I love more than a delicious burger! Red Robin is KING of delicious burgers and my husband always orders their Black and Bleu burger.
It tends to be a little messy with the garlic aioli, bleu cheese crumbles, and sautéed mushrooms and onions – but the flavors come together for burger perfection.
Now that I’m getting more pregnant and it’s getting a little crazier to wrangle all the kids at a restaurant (haha!), we make them at home! They are absolutely delicious and we never have to pay a tip 😉
How to make black and bleu burgers
It all starts with a few simple ingredients: hamburger patties, mushrooms, onions, lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, and garlic aioli.
The secret to making this burger is definitely the garlic aioli. You can make your own, or you can go ahead and use store bought (our favorite is pictured below).
If you really want to up your burgers, you can also make the patties from scratch. You can find our favorite hamburger recipe here.
While your hamburgers are cooking, cook the mushrooms, onions, and butter (or you could use olive oil) in a skillet over medium heat until mushrooms are browned and onions have started to caramelize. You’ll want them really soft and very fragrant.
Stack them how you like, but we usually top each hamburger bun with garlic aioli, lettuce, a hamburger, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and bleu cheese crumbles.
We think this recipe is pretty darn close to the restaurant, but you can add in (or take out) whatever you like. Here are some of our favorite changes:
- Adding provolone cheese instead of bleu cheese crumbles (that’s what I do because I can’t eat bleu cheese while pregnant!)
- Add bleu cheese dressing for a little extra sauce
- Substituting french fried onions for caramelized onions
- Substituting turkey burgers or bison burgers for black angus
More copycat recipes
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
What to serve with these burgers
More hamburger recipes you’ll love
- Juicy BBQ Turkey Burgers
- Copycat Red Robin Bonzai Burgers
- Guacamole Bacon Burgers
- Bacon Infused Burgers
- Copycat Mother Nature Burger
Copycat Red Robin Black & Bleu Burger
- 4 quarter-pound hamburger patties
- 4 ounces baby portobello mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ small onion sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburger buns (we used brioche buns)
- garlic aioli for topping
- lettuce for topping
- bleu cheese crumbles for topping
- Cook hamburgers using preferred method.
- While the hamburgers are cooking, cook the mushrooms, onions, and butter in a skillet over medium heat until mushrooms are browned and onions have started to caramelize.
- Top each hamburger bun with garlic aioli, lettuce, a hamburger, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and bleu cheese crumbles.
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
See how to make another tasty hamburger recipe – our cheeseburger sliders – below: