I love a good, juicy hamburger – but sometimes it’s nice to switch it up! Ground turkey is a perfect alternative and this BBQ Turkey Burger recipe tastes delicious!
This recipe is one of our favorites – even the kids love them.
Related Recipe: Try our Hawaiian Turkey Burgers HERE!
How do you keep ground turkey burgers from falling apart?
Turkey burgers need some type of ingredient to bind the burgers together and keep them from falling apart. I recommend using breadcrumbs and an egg – breadcrumbs will absorb the moisture and the egg will act like a glue to hold the burgers together while you grill them.
For this recipe, we do not use an egg, but instead use BBQ sauce and mustard to act as the glue to hold the burger together. If you feel like you struggle with ground turkey burgers falling apart, feel free to add an egg to the mixture.
Another idea is to cook these burgers on a flat top grill instead of a traditional open-flame grill – it will be easier for the burgers to hold their shape as they cook instead of falling through the slats on a grill.
How to keep your turkey burger juicy:
When it comes to a juicy burger, the secret is in the fat content. It’s easy with ground beef (there are lots of options of ground beef that have a higher percentage of fat), but ground turkey is such a lean cut of meat that it dries out so easily. Here are some tips to keeping your turkey burger juicy:
- If possible, try to use a dark turkey meat (some butchers will have it available) or use a 90% or less turkey meat.
- Add some moisture that has fat in it to the mix – such as mayonnaise, plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, or avocado oil. Aim for about 2 Tablespoons for every 1 pound of ground turkey.
- Be gentle with the meat. You may be tempted to keep mixing, but be sure to only stir until the ingredients are just blended. If you over-handle the meat, it will be come dense and rubbery.
- Flip the burger only once. The more that you move the burger on the grill, the more juices you are going to lose.
- Do not overcook the burgers. Use a thermometer to test doneness and be sure to remove the turkey burger the second it reaches 160 degrees F.
How to cook turkey burgers in a skillet
Even if you don’t have a grill, you can still enjoy these delicious burgers! Here’s how to cook them in a skillet:
- Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil or olive oil in the bottom of a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the skillet is heated, add the turkey patties to the skillet. Cook until the bottom of the patties are browned (about 3-4 minutes).
- Flip the burgers and cook for 3-4 more minutes on the other side or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
What to serve with Ground Turkey BBQ Burgers:
- Animal Style Fries
- Baked Seasoned Steak Fries
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Zucchini Fries
- Carrot Fries
Other Juicy Burgers we LOVE:
- THE BEST HAMBURGER (AND FAMOUS SECRET SAUCE) RECIPE
- CLASSIC BURGER RECIPE
- SLOW COOKER CHEESY TURKEY BURGER JOES RECIPE
- BAKED CHEESEBURGER SLIDERS RECIPE
- BACON INFUSED BURGERS RECIPE
- BBQ BACON BURGERS
- GRILLED TERIYAKI BURGERS RECIPE
Juicy BBQ Turkey Burgers Recipe
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup barbeque sauce divided
- 2 Tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a mixing bowl, combine onion, 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, breadcrumbs, mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and ground turkey.
- Mix until well combined.
- Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and place patties on the grill. Cook 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve patties on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and remaining barbecue sauce.
- See recipe post for instructions on cooking this in a skillet.
- Mixing Bowl
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.