Cupcakes are so fun and tasty – they are perfect for parties or birthdays. These Confetti Cupcakes are even more fun with all of the colors with the addition of the homemade strawberry buttercream frosting and sprinkles.
My kids also absolutely LOVE the strawberry frosting. They even claim its the BEST strawberry frosting EVER and it’s so easy to make using my 1 secret ingredient: STRAWBERRY JAM!
Ingredients needed to make Confetti Cupcakes:
- Box of white cake mix
- Eggs whites
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla extract
- Strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar
How to make Confetti Cupcakes:
To begin, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Pull out a large mixing bowl and begin adding the egg whites, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla! Gently mix all of the ingredients together with a whisk until they are fully combined.
Once all of the wet ingredients have been incorporated, sift the cake mix and add it to the wet ingredients, as well as the sprinkles. Make sure to stir gently and as LITTLE as possible. If you over-mix, the colors from the sprinkles will bleed and you will lose all the individual confetti colors!
After everything has been combined, line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill them about 3/4th full with the cupcake batter.
With all of the cupcakes liners filled, place them in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
All ovens are different, so another way to test to see if the Funfetti cupcakes are done is to simply insert a toothpick in the middle of a cupcake and if it comes out clean, then they are done. If it comes out with batter on it, return the cupcakes to the oven for a few more minutes.
How to frost confetti cupcakes
To make this frosting, you will need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam or preserves (I used our Homemade Freezer Jam)
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (just keep adding it until it’s the consistency you want)
- 2 Tablespoons milk
To get the frosting started, after the butter has reached room temperature, beat it together with the vanilla until it becomes creamy and fluffy.
Next, add the strawberry jam or preserves to the mixture.
Feel free to use either jam or preserves it just depends on your preference. I use our Homemade Freezer Jam and it works fantastically.
Now that the strawberry jam (or preserves) have been incorporated, add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time.
Pro TIPS TO TRY
- By adding a little at a time you avoid a cloud of powdered sugar once you turn on the beaters.
- You can also jog (quickly turning the mixer on and off multiple times) the beaters a few times to also avoid getting sprayed with powdered sugar.
Continue to mix the frosting until all of the powdered sugar has been added and is buttery soft and fluffy. The mix will seem to be a little dry. Add in 1-2 Tablespoons of milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
Lastly, fill either a piping bag or a ziploc bag (or any resealable bag) with the corner cut off, and pipe the strawberry buttercream frosting onto the cooled confetti cupcakes and top them off with sprinkles.
OTHER TOPPINGS to add to cupcakes:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Toasted coconut
- Crushed Oreo
- Chocolate drizzle
Any of these toppings would be a wonderful addition to any cupcake. You could make it even more fun and have a build your own cupcake bar and off ALL of the toppings!
LOOKING FOR MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES?
- The Best Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes
- Valentine’s Day Neapolitan Cupcakes Recipe
- Texas Sheet Cake Cupcakes
Confetti Cupcakes with Homemade Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 box white cake mix (I used a 16.25 oz Duncan Hines cake mix)
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup milk (I used 1%)
- ¾ cup sour cream (I used light)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles (whatever color you want)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks - at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam or preserves (I used our Homemade Freezer Jam)
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (just keep adding it until it's the consistency you want)
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Combine the egg whites, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla gently with a whisk. Then sift in your cake mix and sprinkles and gently stir. Fill 24 cupcake liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean).
- Beat butter and vanilla together until fluffy. Add strawberry jam and beat until incorporated. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until frosting is fluffy. It will seem kind of dry, so add 1-2 Tablespoons of milk until it's the consistency you like. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles (if you want).
check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!