Every Christmas season we would always have chocolate covered cherries. So of course we needed to come up with Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies. Our grandpa Tom was the biggest chocolate cherry lover. We would give them to him every year for Christmas.
We share his love for the flavors of chocolate and cherry combined. These brownies are the bomb! They are so easy to make and look like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen.
The cherry layer is as easy as mixing some amazing ingredients together. And then the chocolate layer on top is done in the microwave. So easy and it just keeps getting better.
The cherry filling in the middle layer has mini chocolate chips and tastes like Ben and Jerry’s Garcia ice cream. That is one of our personal favorite ice cream flavors.
Related recipe: Raspberry Chocolate souffle brownie cups are an easy and decadent dessert. the perfect brownie cup for any occasion.
Can you use homemade brownie batter in place of store bought mix?
We used a store bought brownie mix for these Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies. It is easy and convenient. There are so many flavors available at the store with extra chocolate chunks and mix ins added. Any brand works great.
These brownies also work great with your own homemade brownie recipe for a 9 x 13 inch pan. Just make them in the pan and let them cool completely. We love using our Fudgy Brownies recipe in place of a store bought mix when we don’t have one on hand.
Whether you use a store bought mix, or make your own brownies, these taste amazing. We love a good brownie and these Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies won’t disappoint.
Can other pan sizes be used for these brownies?
These Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies are specifically for a 9 x 13 inch pan. If you were to use a half sheet baking pan, they would be too thin and the cherry layer would not spread over the entire pan of brownies.
If you need a bigger batch of brownies, be sure to check out Mom’s Famous Marshmallow Brownies. They make a big pan if you need more to feed a big crowd.
These Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies feed about 24-30. They are very rich and filling. It’s a taste of Heaven! Have we convinced you to make a batch yet!!??
How to make Chocolate cherry chunk brownies
Here are the simple ingredients used to make these amazing chocolate cherry chunk brownies.
- Prepare the brownies as directed on the box for a 9 x 13 inch pan. if using a store bought brownie mix. If you are using a homemade recipe, make the brownies and cool completely.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, and maraschino juice. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips and chopped maraschino cherries.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the cooled brownies.
- Place in the fridge or freezer for about 30-45 minutes until the pink cherry layer is set up well. The chocolate layer on top is warm and will melt the pink layer. So you want it to be set up well.
- After the brownies have had a chance to set up well, mix the chocolate chips with the butter and melt in a microwave safe dish. I like using my big 4 cup glass measuring cup.
- Heat at 30 second intervals until creamy and smooth. When all melted, spread quickly over the cherry layer which has set up well. Spread quickly because the chocolate will want to set up when it hits the cold cherry layer.
- Place in the fridge to set up. Then cut and serve.
Helpful items used for these brownies
- Hand Mixer – We just got this hand mixer and absolutely love it. Love the pulse feature.
- Mixing Bowl Set – This 4 piece bowl set comes with tight fitting lids.
- 9 x 13 inch Baking Dish – We love glass baking dishes and this one comes with a nice fitting lid.
If you love these brownies, be sure and try our Instant Pot Fudgy Brownies. SO EASY in the Instant Pot.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
more tasty brownie recipes for you to enjoy
If you haven’t noticed by now, we love delicious brownies recipes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Buttermilk Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Andes Mint Brownies
- Break Up Brownies
- Mom’s Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies
- Chocolate Thin Mint Brownies
Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies Recipe
- 21 ounces Betty Crocker Supreme brownie mix
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries (reserve juice)
- 2¼ cup milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- ¾ cup butter
- Prepare brownies mix with the water, vegetable oil and eggs that it calls for on the box. (Every box can vary slightly) Bake as directed on the box. Let cool completely.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, and 3 Tablespoons of juice from the maraschino cherries.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Remove all of the cherries from the jar and chop.
- Fold in the chopped cherries and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spread over the top of cooled brownies.
- Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to let the cherry layer set up well.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave at 30 second intervals. Stir, and repeat for 30 more seconds. Continue to do this until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Spread over cherry-chocolate layer. Spread quickly because it will tend to set up when it hits the cold cherry layer.
- Let set up until hardened (stick in the fridge if you need them set up faster) and then cut and serve.