Our grandma passed away when our mom was a teenager. We never met her, but we know we would have gotten along perfectly.
Our beautiful grandmother was known for these amazing, fudgy brownies. She must have passed on her love for chocolate to all of us.
My mom has continued to make them over the years, and they are my favorite dessert to come home to. The best was walking in from school after a long day, and smelling these bad boys baking.
You knew your day was going to go from bad to good, just with a bite of these delicious Fudgy Brownies. They are so dense and almost cake-like. They are definitely our favorite brownies.
The frosting isn’t thick, but they don’t need a lot. The brownies are really moist, and the frosting is put on while the brownies are hot, so they sink into the chocolaty fudgy brownie nicely.
Want to see another way that we use these Fudgy Brownies? Check out our Homemade S’mores Brownies!
We use this recipe as a base and then top the brownies with toasted marshmallows, graham crackers, and melty chocolate!
How can you tell if your brownies are done baking?
This is an old trick I learned from my mother, years ago. It’s the good old toothpick trick and I still use it today.
The time and temperature on this recipe should be spot on, but if you want to double check to make sure your brownies are done, here is what to do:
- Insert a wooden toothpick into the center of the brownies.
- If the toothpick comes out clean (without any brownie batter on it), the brownies are done.
- If the toothpick comes out with batter on it, they may need just a few more minutes.
What could I use instead of nuts in the batter?
The thing I love about this recipe are the little crunchy surprises. They add just the perfect amount of texture, and taste amazing. If you are looking for a quick and simple dessert recipe, this is the one for you.
If you don’t like nuts, or don’t have any on hand, here are a few other sweet morsels we recommend adding to your brownies:
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Bits
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (chopped up)
- Snickers Candy Bar (chopped up)
- M & M Candies
- Oreo Cookie Pieces
- Mini Marshmallows
- White Chocolate Chips
This recipe is so fun to add your own twist to. Whether it’s a different type of chip or morsel, or your favorite candy, everyone is going to love them.
They are also delicious as is. You really don’t even need to add any sweet morsel. They are delicious just as they are. The chocolate frosting is really all you need on these.
Steps to make the perfect fudgy brownies:
Step 1: Melt your butter, and stir in your cocoa powder with a hand mixer. You will want this to be smooth, or you will have lumps in your batter/brownies.
Step 2: Add in your sugar and eggs, and mix until smooth
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients, and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 4: Pour your batter into your sprayed 9 x 13 inch pan. I used a butter based, non stick cooking spray, but you can also use an olive oil spray.
Step 5: Bake until the center is set, using the toothpick method, described above.
Step 6: While your brownies are baking, make the frosting by combining powdered sugar, margarine, cocoa powder, water and vanilla.
Step 7: Remove cooked brownies from oven and and frost while still warm. You can also let them cool and frost with chocolate buttercream frosting. We serve them both ways. If frosting the brownies while hot, the frosting seeps into the brownies for a glaze looking frosting.
Step 8: Enjoy with ice cream, or just as is. These are absolutely delicious.
Related Recipe: Our Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownie Bars are the perfect combination of cookie and brownie. Get the recipe HERE.
Watch how to make another favorite brownie recipe, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
These Rocky Road Brownies are incredibly easy to make and full of fudgy marshmallow flavor. They come together quickly, and are sure to be a huge hit. Watch how easy they are to make, here:
Looking for more delicious brownie recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- 50 of the Best Brownie Recipes
- Symphony Candy Bar Brownies
- Better Than Anything Brownies
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
Fudgy Brownies Recipe
- 8 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (or margarine - our grandma liked to do 1/2 cup of each)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup nuts optional
- pinch salt
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Melt butter or margarine, and then stir in cocoa.
- Add in sugar and eggs to the mixing bowl and stir together.
- Add in vanilla, flour, nuts and salt and beat together well.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Mix the frosting ingredients together and spread over the hot brownies and serve.
- You can also let the brownies cool and then frost. This way the frosting is thicker.