There’s no reason to hang onto your rice cooker with this Instant Pot Rice recipe. You can make the perfect sticky (or not sticky) rice in your Instant Pot.
When I realized I could make rice in my Instant Pot, my rice cooker went on vacation. Then I realized that I probably never would use my rice cooker again! I got rid of it, clearing out some much needed storage space in my kitchen cupboards.
This Instant Pot rice turns out perfectly every time. It’s always soft and fluffy, plus easy to make.
Should you rinse the rice?
Rinsing your rice before cooking can help remove some of the excess starch. Some people believe this excess starch may lead to sticking and getting the dreaded “BURN” notice on the Instant Pot.
So, while this may seem like an unnecessary step that adds time and a dirty strainer, we highly recommend it! It will be worth it if you want your final product to be fluffy rather than gummy.
What is the cooking Time for white, brown, and wild rice?
When cooking different types of rice in your Instant Pot, the only change you need to make is for cooking time. The rice to water ratio stays the same: 1 cup rice to 1 ¼ cup water.
Cooking times for the different types of rice are as follows:
- White or basmati rice: 4-8 minutes
- Brown rice: 22-24 minutes
- Wild rice: 25-28 minutes
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?
Here are a few you might like.
Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Tikki Masala
Instant Pot Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Potatoes
Instant Pot Basics.
Making Rice in the Instant Pot is one of the Instant Pot Basics. Here are some of my other basics:
- Hardboiled Eggs: Just add a little water to the pot, place your eggs on the cooking rack (as many as you’d like), and press the “EGG” button – Perfect hardboiled eggs in just about 10 minutes.
- Meat: You can cook meat and poultry from frozen or fresh and it always comes out tender and moist – Love!
- Slow Cooker: Use the Instant Pot just like you would use your crockpot – Set it to cook on low for any amount of time that you’d like, it will automatically turn to “WARM” when the time is up.
- Dried Beans: Cook them in under 30-minutes with no pre-soaking.
Find 6 MORE if my Instant Pot Basic Recipes HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
If you have an Instant Pot, you will want to check out our Youtube channel! Every single Monday Kristen shares a new Instant Pot recipe!
Watch how to make White, Brown, or Wild Rice in the Instant Pot Here:
How to Cook White Rice in the Instant Pot
- 1 cup rice
- 1¼ cup water (or broth for even more flavor)
- Rinse rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Put rice into the Instant Pot.
- Then add in water (or broth).
- Lock the lid and set the steam valve to its “sealing” position.
- Select the RICE button, MANUAL button, or HIGH PRESSURE button and follow the cooking chart below.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 9 to 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
- Instant Pot
This post was included in our 20 of the BEST Things to Make in the Instant Pot video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
Questions & Reviews