How do you make stuffed these Baked Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats?
Trim the stems off your zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out seeds and fill with desired toppings and ingredients. We like these Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats and Bacon Asparagus Zucchini Boats.
How long do you bake stuffed zucchini?
Cooking time for baked stuffed zucchini can vary due to thickness. I used medium sized zucchini, which was about one and a half inches thick in diameter and it cooked perfectly at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
I would suggest keeping an eye on your stuffed zucchini and even using a fork to puncture it and check if it is tender.
Low carb pizza?!
My family loves having some form of pizza every weekend. I am always looking for ways to help my family eat a little bit healthier so I thought I would make a fun twist on traditional pizza.
Each one of these Baked Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats had 6 grams of carbs, compared to 41 grams in a traditional slice of pepperoni pizza. If you are counting macros or trying to eat fewer carbs, this recipe is perfect for you.
How to make baked pizza zucchini boats
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. I cut the ends off of my zucchini to make it easier to hollow out and so they would lay flat on the baking sheet.
Use a spoon to scrape out the center of the zucchini. I like to remove all of the seeds, but leave a bit of an edge so you can taste the zucchini itself. After all, this is replacing your pizza crust so you will want a little substance!
Spread marinara sauce inside each zucchini boat. I end up using about a tablespoon of sauce for each boat, but you can use as much as you prefer. I also use store-bought sauce, but homemade marinara would taste great in this recipe.
Next, comes the best part of all. Toppings. I love combination flavored pizza so I topped our pizza zucchini boats with cheese, mini pepperoni, olives, green pepper, onion, and mushrooms.
Our kids love making their own, so we will set all the optional toppings out for them and let them assemble their pizza boats themselves. I feel like the more kids are involved in the cooking process, the more they are willing to try new foods.
Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 12-18 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is tender. Cooking time will vary on the thickness of your zucchini, so just keep an eye on it.
Each zucchini boat had right around 100 calories, which is great if you are trying to eat healthier or sneak more veggies into your family’s diet.
Other fun pizza recipes:
We love pizza in all it’s shapes and sizes. Check out some of our other favorite pizza variations:
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- Easy Veggie Pizza
- Easy Pizza Chicken Bake
- Pepperoni Pizza Sliders
- Pizza Skillet Pasta
- Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Baked Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup mini pepperonis
- ¼ cup green pepper diced
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and pulp in the center of the zucchini and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Lay zucchini cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly between zucchini.
- Top with mozzarella, mushrooms, pepperonis, green pepper, onion and olives.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes. Cooking time will vary due to thickness of zucchini, but cook until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.
- Cooking time for baked stuffed zucchini can vary due to thickness. I used medium sized zucchini, which was about one and a half inches thick in diameter and it cooked perfectly at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Baking Sheet